Cheesecake Covered In Buttercream Icing And Fondant?

Decorating By em_muire Updated 16 May 2017 , 6:38pm by em_muire

em_muire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
em_muire Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 4

Hi, I'm new to decorating birthday cakes and was wondering whether it would work to cover a cheesecake with buttercream icing and then further decorate with fondant?

One of the fondant decorations I want to use might be a little heavy and I worry that the cheesecake might start to fall in because of the weight.

thanx

3 replies
TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 4

Hi!... I have never covered a cheesecake before, so I look forward to seeing the replies here. 

However, I might be helpful regarding your heavy fondant decoration. Without knowing more details, I think a dowel or two would be sufficient.

Earlier this month I made a wedding cake with a heavy gumpaste topper. For that design, I just needed one dowel in the top and it balanced perfectly without sagging onto the cake.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 4

i don't remember using fondant on cheesecake but i'm sure it can be done --

i have used cheesecakes to make deocrated cakes, tier cakes etc. buttercream and ganache iced -- frozen cheesecake handles like dream -- no worries --

and it of course has to be kept cold --

so if fondanted i would put a couple unobtrusive holes in the 'back' and keep them open to be the pressure release valve to help prevent air bubbles from forming anywhere -- kwim

em_muire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
em_muire Posted 16 May 2017 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks so much for all the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%