How Much To Charge For 72 Cupcakes With Foundant Toppers And One 2 Layer-9 Inch Cake

Business By Missmoessweets Updated 16 May 2017 , 2:44pm by kristiemarie

Missmoessweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Missmoessweets Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 12:12am
post #1 of 14

My friend wants to hire me for her cousins baby shower and I need help with pricing because I always charge too low and end up regretting it but I never know how much is too much! She is asking for 72 cupcakes, with more than half of them with foundant  toppers on them (see pictures below) ... She is also asking for a small cake, a 2 layered, 9 inch cake. I've looked all over Google for pricing and need help! I was thinking of charging her $220 all together but I have no idea if that's too much or too little ... Please help!

How Much To Charge For 72 Cupcakes With Foundant Toppers And One 2 Layer-9 Inch CakeHow Much To Charge For 72 Cupcakes With Foundant Toppers And One 2 Layer-9 Inch Cake

13 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 11:17am
post #2 of 14

$9,367

I'm just throwing a number out there... Which is all any of us can really do without knowing the details of your overhead costs, your hourly rate, your supply costs, your locale, your profit margin, etc...

You really need to price things out once a year at least... Figure out how much a batch of batter actually costs you in supplies, oven usage, time, etc... Then add in your profit margin you would like...

Check with local bakeries for their base prices at least... many have them on their websites... And I don't mean Walmart or the Grocery...

Compare what you charge to the local bakeries... you should be charging at least as much as they charge (if not potentially more)...

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 1:43pm
post #3 of 14

Agreed. 

If it were me, she would be over $220 for the cupcakes alone. 

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 14

Agreed.  Cupcakes would be more than $220.  Half the cupcakes have fondant toppers and half just a bc swirl?  

Cake would be about $140 alone.

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 14

I would charge  $388.00 Total.

I doubt she would want to pay you that much, or maybe she will, who knows.

Missmoessweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Missmoessweets Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 7:12pm
post #6 of 14

Thank you all very much! I called a few bakeries in my area as well and $220 is low 

pamcakesandcompany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamcakesandcompany Posted 21 Apr 2017 , 1:11am
post #7 of 14

A  2 tired  9" cake with buttercream you would charge $140.00 wow that sure seems high

What state are you in?

Guess  pricing is where you are located.

interesting what pricing is 

It is a tuff one

Pam

ypierce82 Posted 21 Apr 2017 , 2:00am
post #8 of 14

It doesn't seem high to me. Most people charge by the serving, plus factoring in labor, etc. What would a 2 layer cake that looked like that cost where you live? 

GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 22 Apr 2017 , 7:02am
post #9 of 14

A 9 inch smash cake!? That is gonna be a ton of wasted cake!! I make mine anywhere from a 4 inch to a 6 inch. 

ypierce82 Posted 22 Apr 2017 , 2:24pm
post #10 of 14

?? She said she's also looking for a small cake.......not smash cake. 

plcharles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plcharles Posted 25 Apr 2017 , 11:59pm
post #11 of 14

In my area I get $2 each for basic cupcakes, $3+ for fondant decor. A 9" cake decorated with those rosettes would be about $70. So for me, it would be about $250 for the order. As others have said, depends on time, and money put into the product that drives the cost, but you have to take into account what the market will bear in your area.

GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 12 May 2017 , 2:14am
post #12 of 14

LOL! Where did I get smash cake from?! joy 

So what did you decide for pricing?

fondantslinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantslinger Posted 14 May 2017 , 2:37am
post #13 of 14

Pricing is tough...so many factors to consider. Location of where you are usually sets the bar by what the area norm is for custom cakes or if no one does custom in the area then check out local bakery prices an figure it from there with your expenses.

Me...fondant cupcake toppers with filling inside $3.50 each.

The 9" cake $75.

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 16 May 2017 , 2:44pm
post #14 of 14

There was /is a proving matrix on here that is amazing.  Not sure who made it or if it's still around by it will help you price out your stuff.  

I'd price like this:  cost of supplies + labor (hours taken to bake and deco x you're rate).   Think about a baker at Kroger, Meijer, Walmart....they make AT LEAST minimum wage.  Your skill set is most likely higher. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%