Flawed Wedding Cake

Business By Lola077 Updated 25 Apr 2017 , 1:15pm by -K8memphis

Lola077 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lola077 Posted 19 Apr 2017 , 3:12am
post #1 of 48

Hi,

I just need some feedback regarding a vendor who did not deliver a wedding cake to expectation. The fondant had dirt in some areas, air bubble mark, creased marks & parts where the fondant was pasted over on top of another fondant (most probably the bottom layer was torn). What is the appropriate amount that should be refunded? The vendor was also not honest & upfront about this.

47 replies
Lola077 Posted 19 Apr 2017 , 3:14am
post #2 of 48

Flawed Wedding Cake

ljay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljay Posted 19 Apr 2017 , 2:35pm
post #3 of 48

Do you have a picture of the  whole cake at all?

TheCakeDude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeDude Posted 19 Apr 2017 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 48

Gotta throw it out here that the level of perfection on any cake can always vary based on the price. If it's a $1,000+ cake, sure you can nit pick the little details. If you got a steal from the baker, chances are they were focusing on the bigger picture and doing their best on the little stuff.

The last two pictures look like typical blemishes in fondant work. Patching a fondant ruffle, however, is a little more tacky for sure... I will also say that refunds are tricky in this case, because the baker did indeed deliver a cake, and I'm sure it was indeed eaten. Again, the level of persnicketiness here should depend on what you paid for it.

Lola077 Posted 19 Apr 2017 , 11:49pm
post #5 of 48

Flawed Wedding Cake

Lola077 Posted 19 Apr 2017 , 11:51pm
post #6 of 48

It's a very simple cake which has no margin for error.

sweettherapy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettherapy Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 4:02am
post #7 of 48

Hi! I was just wondering how you know there was dirt on the fondant, I bake as a hobby and I do have to say that all kind of ingredients in the kitchen can appear to be "dirt" which in fact are not. How much was the total you paid for the cake and what size is it? In my opinion, simple cakes are the hardest because there's is no detail covering areas where the fondant may have ripped or torn, looks like an overall beautiful cake but it you paid a ton for a "perfect" cake I could see why you are requesting a refund. Let us know!!

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 4:49am
post #8 of 48

Hmmmmmm....I may be in the minority her but I don't see a cake that cries "REFUND!" here. It is far from a cake wreck. Yeah, OK the ruffle edge is not acceptable, but everything else seems very minor. It is a very interesting cake with "no place to hide" (that is with flowers or other normal decorations).

I agree with sweettheraphy. If you paid TOP dollar for it,....OK...you have the right to bitch a little. If in the "mid-range" priced, I would say 10-20% refund. IMHO.

Lola077 Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 5:28am
post #9 of 48

Sweettherapy there were black & brown spots on the fondant.

Johnson6ofus you are very kind to say that it doesn't warrant a refund. It's a wedding cake not a birthday cake.

ljay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljay Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 12:49pm
post #10 of 48

I have to agree with the cake dude on this one.  The cake overall presents quite well as a whole and it would be hard to know where and when the (what looks to me like a fingerprint) actually happened.  

Its not ideal, and as stated above if you paid huge amounts maybe but I don't know if I'd be chasing down refunds.  A bottle of wine and some cupcakes may be a nice offer for the decorator to make though.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 2:23pm
post #11 of 48

Quote by @Lola077 on 14 hours ago

It's a very simple cake which has no margin for error.

I strenuously disagree that it's a very simple cake.  Wrapping one piece of fondant that large around a cake, on an angle, with an unsupported flair is actually quite complicated.  And to assert my bona fides, I'd made literally a thousand wedding cakes before i retired.  My business so booming to the point of taking over my life.  

The patch on the flair (ruffle) wasn't good, but the rest of it is the nature of fondant.

inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 3:25pm
post #12 of 48

It seems like you went over it with a fine tooth comb to try and find a flaw. Well, congrats, if that is what you were looking for. A refund,...um, no.

Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 10:24pm
post #13 of 48

Honestly; how do you know that dark smudge  or that press mark in one of the flairs didn't happen at the reception by a guest touching the cake? It happens a lot. Honestly, that looks like a beautiful cake. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 11:40pm
post #14 of 48

it's a stunning cake that took a tremendous amount of expertise ike leah said -- that that ruffle cracked is unfortunate -- but there is a patch there -- it's a homely patch for sure -- as if the one who delivered is not the one who decorated it perhaps -- or there was a severe time crunch -- 

the patch was flattened with fingertips -- someone could simply have gotten a glass and rolled the patch out -- i'm curious as to what that story is -- but anyway --

but the point is that the homely patch represents more time and attention was devoted to the project -- a sense of pride there and throughout the entire piece -- i hope it was in the back but even if it wasn't it shows the hand-madeness of the beautiful creation -- i would not ask for a refund on that  --

don't spoil your wedding memories with complaints on minor dit dots

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 11:47pm
post #15 of 48

Honestly the two things that I find unacceptable is

the patched fondant - it looks terrible and if that was me I would have got in contact with someone when that happened and arranged to put some kind of matching decoration there rather than put that horrible patch on it.

and the fingerprints if the decorator did it, if they are working with white fondant then they should be more careful when touching it.

Other than that though I too think you are being picky, the fondant 'bubbles' are so unnoticeable. 

Looking at the board that the cake is sitting on I imagine you didn't pay a whole lot for it though so f you paid for a second class decorator than I think that you definitely got your money's worth in the overall impression of the cake and fell that no one would have noticed any of the flaws except the patched fondant.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 11:47pm
post #16 of 48

Quote by @Lola077 on 1 day ago

Hi,

I just need some feedback regarding a vendor who did not deliver a wedding cake to expectation. 

and one other gentle thing -- while the cake obviously was not to your expectation, it was made and delivered according to the order you placed -- 99.5% of it is OUTSTANDING -- i'd say run with that -- you got what you paid for i'm sure -- 

Lola077 Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 11:56pm
post #17 of 48

It was the vendor's responsibility to make sure the cake was perfect before the handover. The cake wasn't touched by anyone else. I think it was more upsetting that they were not honest & upfront about the flaws. It wouldn't be too bad if they had  apologised before being called out. They had said it was an "oversight". How could the patching be an oversight?! 

Btw by simple I meant no flowers etc.

sweettherapy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettherapy Posted 21 Apr 2017 , 12:03am
post #18 of 48

Hi again! I really am sorry you weren't happy with the cake, was this your wedding cake? Would you mind sharing what you paid for it? I really do think what you paid makes a huge difference, as with anything else. I do have to disagree, I do not believe that any cake is "perfect", anything hand-made will have slight imperfections when you are looking for them.

johnson6ofus Posted 21 Apr 2017 , 4:16am
post #19 of 48

I too, am very curious about the price. Are we looking at "fine dining"--- linens, cloth napkins, fine chine and a 15 piece silver place-setting or a "Fast food" hamburg wrapped in a paper bag?

Every cake should be well done, but the attention to detail, and professional skill is what really adds to the expense.... and should be reflected in the fine details on the cake. (yes, some of the minor flaws are just the nature of fondant).

This was a really pretty cake that was very well done, albeit not perfectly.

woozy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woozy Posted 21 Apr 2017 , 4:38am
post #20 of 48

I honestly don't think you're in a good place to ask. There is a perfectly natural defensiveness here.

A cheap wedding costs 10 grand these days, and people go into debt for it. Memories are renewed each time you pay the credit card bill. The cake is the real centerpiece of a wedding, and bad craft in the centerpiece cheapens the whole effect.

A few things about that cake are pretty unforgiveable, in terms of cake artistry, regardless of the price you paid.  If the baker didn't have the skill to do a ruffle, they should have refused the job.

Magda_MI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magda_MI Posted 21 Apr 2017 , 5:28am
post #21 of 48

The majority of wedding guests will see the cake from 10 feet away.  If the cake looks good from that distance, then it's generally fine and very few people will notice any flaws.

I'm with others, unless you paid the price for an expert decorator, the patched fondant is the only thing even worth mentioning, and it wouldn't necessarily justify a refund.

Lola077 Posted 21 Apr 2017 , 7:45am
post #22 of 48

I guess you guys are generally very forgiving. I did mention that the vendor was not honest & upfront about the flaws & did not even apologise until they were called out. I would have been more forgiving if they had apologised on the spot and explained. It's OK I'll stop here as I am not as big hearted as most of you here.

srichmond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srichmond Posted 21 Apr 2017 , 12:54pm
post #23 of 48

I too would like to know what the price tag for this cake was. Was this made by a hobby baker or a storefront bakery?

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 21 Apr 2017 , 1:26pm
post #24 of 48

Lola077,  it is obvious that you are not a baker/cake decorator.  This is actually a stunning cake with very minor flaws which probably happened during delivery.  Cake and fondant are soft and transporting a stacked cake is difficult and stressful and frequently involves some level of minor damage which must be repaired at the venue.  This cake makes a beautiful statement and I am sure your guests were very impressed.  It is surprising that you had the time (or inclination) to notice and photograph such minor imperfections at your own wedding.  

By the way, you keep saying the vendor was not honest and should have offered an apology up front.  I strongly disagree.  This is a quality product and no apology should be necessary and no refund should be given.

johnson6ofus Posted 21 Apr 2017 , 1:34pm
post #25 of 48

Quote by @Lola077 on 5 hours ago

..the vendor was not honest & upfront about the flaws & did not even apologise until they were called out.

Nobody is going to point out the flaws and draw attention to them. That doesn't make sense. Every baker or artist see flaws in their work, and "I could have done that better". Most of us fuss over every detail.

With family, I point it out and most say..."I would have never noticed that!". The thought of taking a bride to cake, point out every flaw, and expect her to be happy and go on with her event is counterproductive.

And, as others have asked, price is relative. Like a diamond, did you pay top dollar for perfection? Are we looking at a $300 cake or a $3,000 cake? It IS a really nice cake. Is it perfect....no. But like a PP said, most people walk up to it, ohhhhhhh and ahhhhh, admire the modern design and uniqueness and move on.  It is only a select few, like people here on CC, that would even notice the small flaws.

Please don't let it ruin your memories of that day.

johnson6ofus Posted 21 Apr 2017 , 1:40pm
post #26 of 48

Quote by @Lola077 on 5 hours ago

I guess you guys are generally very forgiving.

Nothing to forgive. As a baker, I would have been proud to present it, and as a bride I would have been thrilled to serve it to my guests.

woozy Posted 21 Apr 2017 , 1:51pm
post #27 of 48

>The majority of wedding guests will see the cake from 10 feet away.

Sheesh.  Like that's how people see their wedding.

They aren't forgiving, Lola, that isn't the point. They're bakers, and would want that ruffle forgiven if they made it.  You're beating a dead horse by wasting your time trying to convince. 

A-CupOfTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
A-CupOfTee Posted 21 Apr 2017 , 2:56pm
post #28 of 48

It seems to me you just want someone to agree with you and say yes you deserve half or maybe even a full refund. Let me ask you,  if there was a snag, or a loose thread somewhere on your tablecloths or seat covers, would you feel the decorator or linen company lied to you and you deserve a refund? If the cake didn't have a security guard, how can you be sure no one touched it? I understand you wanted this day to be perfect but let's face it, nothing in life is perfect, no matter how much you paid. I guarantee you can buy a $5,000 pair of jeans and still find a loose thread, why, because nothing in life is perfect.

woozy Posted 21 Apr 2017 , 3:12pm
post #29 of 48

This has nothing to do with a loose thread, that could be snipped off, or with perfection.  It's turned into a bunch of sympthetic apologists for bad craft. 

Lola, you're wasting bandwith seeking any answer here.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 21 Apr 2017 , 4:18pm
post #30 of 48

Woozy, it is obvious that you are not a cake decorator/baker either!  Like A-CupOfTee said, nothing in life is perfect.  I am not defending the craft because I am a hobby baker and do cakes for fun, not money, BUT I do know a good job when I see one and this is a darned good job.  Attitudes like yours and Lola077's are the reason I do not make cakes for a living.  I also noticed that you have no photos posted which leads me to believe that you know not of what you speak.  Sorry if this sounds harsh, but they are fact. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%