Chinese Buffet Mocha Cake

Baking By fahril99 Updated 27 Jun 2017 , 10:50am by Nana52

fahril99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fahril99 Posted 18 Apr 2017 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 5

Does anyone know the recipe of a type of  layered mocha cake (sometimes seen in orange and strawberry flavor too) that is served in Chinese buffet and it has a gelatin skin like top layer. A friend of mine is requesting to make her such a cake and I am at a loss!

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Apr 2017 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 5

Boy, I've been to enough Chinese buffets to know exactly what you are asking about, but alass........don't know how to make it.   The cake its self is a very tight, light, almost pound cake like consistency - As I remember, almost always white cake.  I'm thinking my *original* WASC might be an exceptable sub if you sift all the dry ingredients.  http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

Are you needing the gelatin topping?   I would try a 'jigglers' type recipe for that.  Maybe let it start to gel before pouring over the cake.  

Sorry I can't be of better help :(

fahril99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fahril99 Posted 19 Apr 2017 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for reply kakeladi. I have spent so much time in the internet looking for a recipe of this with no luck. I would try to make a small batch of white cake with mocha moose and see if it doe snot yield anything similar, I would say no to her. :(

salvatorsmorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
salvatorsmorgan Posted 27 Jun 2017 , 6:34am
post #4 of 5

Hibachi Japanese Food Fridley, Minneapolis, Coon Rapids, ST Paul Blaine MN, Restaurants Columbia Heights the best Japanese and Chinese Restaurants,Sushi Chinese

Nana52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nana52 Posted 27 Jun 2017 , 10:50am
post #5 of 5

Try searching for "gelee topped cakes"

It's basically a jelly topping.  Here's a recipe for Mango gelee:

Mango Glaze

100g mango puree

3g gelatin powder

3 tbsp boiling water

Dissolve gelatine in hot water. Mix in mango puree.  Allow to set just long enough that it can be spread on cake but it will not be absorbed into the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%