How To Get This Bark Effect

Baking By Jasmin32 Updated 19 Apr 2017 , 3:00pm by TheCakeDude

Jasmin32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmin32 Posted 18 Apr 2017 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 2

Hey everyone!

I'm making a cake similar to this one, which is incredible work!

Ive done a lot of realistic fondant cakes in my life but I just can't figure out how to get some of the effects like this one! The parts of the tree where it volcanos out, and bits peeling away, would they have been added later and maybe wetted and moulded into the fondant wrapped around?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks How To Get This Bark EffectHow To Get This Bark EffectHow To Get This Bark EffectHow To Get This Bark Effect

1 reply
TheCakeDude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeDude Posted 19 Apr 2017 , 3:00pm
post #2 of 2

Sick cake! I have done many a bark in buttercream, and I love how easy it is to add layers on top of the base coat and blend. However, if I were to approach in fondant, I would make sure to add the bumps for the knots underneath the final fondant layer.

As for the peeling, the major peel lines make it seem like it was wrapped horizontally with a wide strip of fondant, allowing a torn edge to hang over. At that point, many wonderful things can go down with just a dresden tool and some watercolor style painting. Try ripping the fondant with your hands here and there. Let the fondant dry a bit before adding details to add to the crackling effect.

Just go for it, you got this!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%