Wilting Fondant - Help!!

Decorating By brittany0207 Updated 24 Apr 2017 , 12:25am by GIGGLEBOX2014

brittany0207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brittany0207 Posted 18 Apr 2017 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 11

Over the Easter weekend, I made cupcakes with bunny ear fondant toppers. The ears started wilting backwards within 3 minutes of putting them on the cupcake. I tried putting them in the fridge for about 10 minutes, but they still started wilting as soon as put them on the cupcakes. How do I solve this problem? I have had an awful hard time in the past of my fondant wilting. I don't have a dedicated "cake fridge"; could the temp of our fridge have something to do with it? Thanks for any and all tips!! 

10 replies
sugarbritches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbritches Posted 18 Apr 2017 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 11

Fondant decorations must be made in advance and left to dry for at least 24 hours (I let mine dry for several days) if they are meant to stand upright.  They won't stay up after just having been made.  Refrigerating them will not help.  If you want to use just made decorations you might try modeling chocolate.  Refrigeration will help that. 

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Apr 2017 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 11

^yep

brittany0207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brittany0207 Posted 18 Apr 2017 , 11:15pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks!! This is extremely helpful. How do you let them "dry out"? Do you place them on a plate and cover them with Saran Wrap? Or do you place them in the fridge? 

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Apr 2017 , 12:24am
post #5 of 11

No fridge.  No plastic wrap.  The goal is to expose them to air so that they dry.  I always made things like that days in advance.

SoDak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoDak Posted 19 Apr 2017 , 1:44am
post #6 of 11

I tried adding 1 part  Gum Paste to 4 parts fondant. Then air dried for three days--Fondant/gumpaste mixture made figurine, flowers stiff but not brittle.   I also air dry on a paper towel on a cake rack and check on second day & if dry I will gently turn over to  allow underside to benefit of the air drying.

Can anyone help me with a really good ganache recipe that will harden and not melt when the fondant is applied.  I used corn syrup to apply & warm weather softened the ganache & the fondant adhered, but actually made big wavey wrinkles/sagged.  What caused this?

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 19 Apr 2017 , 11:35am
post #7 of 11

I agree with all of the suggestions above.

I also sometimes add a bit of Tylose to the fondant. It helps firm it up a bit if you're running short on time.

However, as suggested, air drying is a great way so you don't have to add anything to your fondant. Example, I have a wedding cake due tomorrow evening. I covered the cake board with fondant on Monday. It's was totally dry yesterday when I attached the ribbon border.

Sorry to hear you had issues with your bunny ears. They sound super adorable!!!! (((Hugs)))

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Apr 2017 , 5:07pm
post #8 of 11

I basically had the same trouble.......only my fondant designs had be made ahead as much as a week :(  The fondant pieces were applied to b'cream iced cuppies.

GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 22 Apr 2017 , 7:09am
post #9 of 11

I know this is too late, but on my most recent Mickey Mouse cake my fondant " 2 " topper hit the heat and started to fall over. I had made it days before hand and it just wasn't holding up to the heat. I added melted candy melts to the back side (same color as fondant).  Once the candy melts hardened it stood straight up without being noticeable or having any further issues! Wish I would've tried it sooner! I plan to keep this idea under my belt should I have any issues in the future. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Apr 2017 , 6:47pm
post #10 of 11

gigglebox.........thank's for the reminder.   Yes, that has been a 'cure' for floppy fondant upright items and I had completely forgotten about it.  Actually in my case that wouldn't have helped because the items I had a problem with were fondant carrots that I tried to stick into the b'cream topped cupcakes.  It was where the fondant met the b'cream that they started to dissolve - is that the right word to describe it?  No matter, it's all over:)

GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 24 Apr 2017 , 12:25am
post #11 of 11

Maybe a thought, but next time just make the ears out of pink/white candy melts entirely?? Then they would be yummy to eat! My kiddos and I hate the taste of fondant. lol. I typically make my toppers out of chocolate so the birthday boy/girl can pull it out of the cake (normally on a cake pop stick) and eat it! stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes They seem to love that part and it is super easy and requires no additional time to set up. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%