Stacking Buttercream Cakes & Preventing Mess

Decorating By dillluvsbaking Updated 16 Apr 2017 , 9:34pm by cakebaker3

dillluvsbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dillluvsbaking Posted 14 Apr 2017 , 1:41am
post #1 of 15

Hi fellow Decorators! :)

I recently got asked to bake and decorate a cake for a boys baby shower. The couple specifically asked for me to decorate with buttercream instead of fondant (they really really hate it.) 

The problem I'm facing is how do I properly stack a buttercream tiered cake without ruining the frosting? I did one about a year ago and used the dowel rods for support like you should but my huge problem was when I removed the top tier, all the frosting from the bottom tier where they were touching peels off. So it ends up removing a huge circle of frosting. If that makes sense. 

How can I prevent this? When doing fondant cakes this is never a problem obviously but with buttercream it sticks and peels away. Have any of you had this dilemma? And tips? Should I maybe cut the dowel rods a quarter inch above the surface to give it a gap between layers?

Thanks!! :)

14 replies
jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 14 Apr 2017 , 3:38am
post #2 of 15

Unfortunately, with stacked bc cakes, the cake board or plate is going to stick to the cake below. It's really unavoidable. You could supply the customer with a small container of icing so they coukd reapply. 

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 14 Apr 2017 , 4:22am
post #3 of 15

Place a circle of baking paper under the top cake board, between the two cakes.

Lift the first cake, peel off the baking paper and any damage should be minimal.

dillluvsbaking Posted 14 Apr 2017 , 4:24am
post #4 of 15

I will definitely try the baking paper technique, never thought of that! I did try to explain to the clients that buttercream will have this dilemma but they insist I still do so. Hopefully this works. 

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 14 Apr 2017 , 4:33am
post #5 of 15

Also, make sure your cake is as level as possible so that when you cut your dowels the top cake only just sits on the bottom cake and doesn't dig in in certain spots.

Cut your baking paper circle slightly smaller than your top cake board so that the cake board does have something to grip and also so that if you do put the cake on slightly crooked the paper wont be visable.

jchuck Posted 14 Apr 2017 , 4:45am
post #6 of 15

That's a great tip bubs1stbirthday!

dillluvsbaking Posted 14 Apr 2017 , 5:18am
post #7 of 15

I appreciate all the feedback and advice from you all! I'm still open to any other input as well so if any of you get more information on this topic let me know! :D

ZeKe221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZeKe221 Posted 14 Apr 2017 , 7:15pm
post #8 of 15

@dillluvsbaking ‍ 

I haven't tried this but what about placing the top tier onto your cake then doing the bc fosting round the top to the 1st tier?  hope i explained that easily haha.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Apr 2017 , 8:47pm
post #9 of 15

Another method is to sprinkle some powdered sugar/cornstarch mix over the area of icing that the board will cover.   OR use dry bread or cake crumbs.

jchuck Posted 14 Apr 2017 , 9:08pm
post #10 of 15

Another great idea kakeladi!!

mrsroy44 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsroy44 Posted 14 Apr 2017 , 9:35pm
post #11 of 15

With clients' permission, I've used coconut flakes in between to prevent sticking :)

jchuck Posted 15 Apr 2017 , 1:29pm
post #12 of 15

Good idea #3!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Apr 2017 , 6:59pm
post #13 of 15

I'm allergic to coconut so I never think of using it.  Good that you check w/client.

mrsroy44 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsroy44 Posted 16 Apr 2017 , 6:56pm
post #14 of 15

Oh absolutely. I'd never add something like that to a cake without checking first! Also, I haaaate coconut but it works :)

cakebaker3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker3 Posted 16 Apr 2017 , 9:34pm
post #15 of 15

I only make cakes with buttercream frosting.  I only use fondant as accents to cake designs.  I have always use the parchment paper between the cake layers and have never had a problem.  Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%