Door To Door Marketing.

Business By CathycakesLLC Updated 13 Apr 2017 , 9:30pm by remnant3333

CathycakesLLC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CathycakesLLC Posted 12 Apr 2017 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 6

Hello, long time lurker here. I received all of my certification, license, etc recently. And am having a hard time drumming up business online. I want to get out and do some foot work, even bring the kids (ages 13 and 17) hand out some samples etc. Just not sure on the best way to go about it without looking, you know (crazy) haha. 

I am wondering how you all feel about hanging a brochure and a certificate for a free cupcake on doors? Of course, ones with-out a no soliciting sign. 

What are some successful ways you have gotten off your toosh, gotten out there and marketed? 

Thank you! 

5 replies
Bakerlady2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakerlady2 Posted 12 Apr 2017 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 6

I haven't tried to sell to the public , but you could try renting a table at a busy flea market, and sell a small variety of what you bake and have papers printed with your info and list of cake flavors and a few pictures of your cakes. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Apr 2017 , 9:05pm
post #3 of 6

Usually that only brings about 1 to 5% return :(   In other words if you put out 100 flyers you might get 1 to 5 interested calls and then maybe only 1 or 2 will order.    What I did was make small sample cakes and deliver them to work places - any large commercial place. Leave the cake and a flyer,   One place I started with was my local bank.  I offered to bake a small (one layer 6" round) for each person in the bank on their b'day.  You could do something similar w/beauty shops, banks, drs. offices etc. 

CathycakesLLC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CathycakesLLC Posted 12 Apr 2017 , 11:44pm
post #4 of 6

That's a great idea, however how worries verbalize that when I call the businesses? Also, when I walk in to drop off samples what should I say? 

"Hi, I'm Cathy with Cathy Cakes we offer custom cakes and cake pops for any special occasion. I would like to leave a few samples, is that alright? Also, I would like to offer a complimentary 6" birthday cake to all employees on their birthdays"

Lolol I'm so clueless on how to verbalize this. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Apr 2017 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 6

Well, I started with my bank........where I always did business so I knew some one to talk to.  I think you have basicaly the right words.  Maybe ask for a manager,  Have your flyer ready to handover, explaining what  you do in as few words as you can.  I convalescent hospitals I would ask if they had break rooms where I could place the sample and flyers.  I just walked in and talked to the 1st person  at a desk :)    I started w/9" heart cookies for Valentines Day.   One yr I was still getting calls for orders as late as 8 or 9 P.M. and ended up making over 100 :)   BTW:  I woould get 3 cookies from each box of cake mix.  Didn't ice the whole thing, just decorated them.....pix in my gallery.  Hope that gives you some ideas and good luck.  Do let us know how it goes.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 13 Apr 2017 , 9:30pm
post #6 of 6

I see nothing wrong with going door to door and knocking on the door and handing out your brochures in their hands. They probably will put them on their table and the next thing you know the children will be begging their parents to go by and buy some cupcakes. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%