Viva Method Help!!!

Decorating By Rachelscakes3140 Updated 13 Apr 2017 , 1:04am by Jeff_Arnett

Rachelscakes3140 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachelscakes3140 Posted 12 Apr 2017 , 2:32am
post #1 of 6

I've tried the viva method twice because I can NEVER create a smooth surface. Both times, the cake looked great, but about 20 minutes later, the icing starts to slide around and wrinkles around the middle where the layers touch. What am I doing wrong????! 

5 replies
ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 12 Apr 2017 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 6

Do you let your cake settle after you crumb coat.  It seems you might get some settling of the layers making the buttercream sag.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 12 Apr 2017 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 6

You are probably not doing anything wrong per se.  Cakes tend to settle as they sit.  Lots of remedies have been proposed here from creating a super stiff icing damn around the edge, to filling the cake, covering in plastic and laying a heavy tile on top overnight.  I guess you just have to find what works. 

I NEVER have that happen...my reasoning is that I use a icing that doesn't not contain liquid (2 pounds powdered sugar, 1 1/2 cups butter, 1 1/2 cups hi ratio shortening and two tablespoons vanilla) so the sugar molecules never really get "wet"...once they do they tend to form a very slow flowing liquid that tends to bulge out of the sides over time.  Keeping cakes chilled also helps minimize this problem.

Rachelscakes3140 Posted 12 Apr 2017 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 6

No, I didn't know you were supposed to do that. How long should I wait?

Rachelscakes3140 Posted 12 Apr 2017 , 8:57pm
post #5 of 6

Hi Jeff. Does your buttercream crust?! I didn't know you could create a crusting buttercream with hi-ratio. I hate using crisco!!!

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 13 Apr 2017 , 1:04am
post #6 of 6

No, not really…maybe just very slightly after it’s been in the cooler overnight…but certainly not enough for the Viva method…I just use a bench scraper and angled spatula to smooth mine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%