Making Cupcakes With Pre-Made Mix?

Baking By lilpeachkid Updated 12 Apr 2017 , 9:18pm by kakeladi

lilpeachkid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilpeachkid Posted 11 Apr 2017 , 3:05am
post #1 of 5

I have a cupcake order from a woman wanting me to do it for a child's party. The order is many months from now but she's ordering cupcakes from me within this week to "taste test". Should I feel bad that I am using pre-made mix? I went to a culinary school for this and was taught just buy the mix for plain orders (ones without intricate flavors etc) where the decoration is more important. She just wants plain vanilla. Any advice to make me feel better is greatly appreciated!

4 replies
ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 11 Apr 2017 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 5

A doctored mix is what most of us do that use mixes. I got the recipe here and it includes sour cream, pudding, eggs, oil and water. Itis really awesome for taste, and flexibility. You just change the pudding and cake mix as needed. It's called  durable cake for 3d and wedding cakes. It says to use 4 egg whites but I use 3 large eggs turns out great!

lilpeachkid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilpeachkid Posted 12 Apr 2017 , 1:48pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you so much! Yes I have been considering doctoring it a bit. I used to make my pineapple upside down cakes with mayonnaise instead of eggs and it would always turn out so much more flavorful and softer, I was considering doing that for this order or something similar. Will definitely have to try out some new recipes to alter it a bit!

ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 12 Apr 2017 , 6:11pm
post #4 of 5

Let us know how it goes!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Apr 2017 , 9:18pm
post #5 of 5

Many, many of us have used boxed, pre-made mixes and have solid businesses.   There is *nothing* wrong with using them.    Here is a *wonderful* recipe you can use:  http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%