Problem With Stacking White Cake

Baking By tudie123 Updated 13 Apr 2017 , 7:46pm by tudie123

tudie123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tudie123 Posted 10 Apr 2017 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 10

I seem to have a semi consistent problem with stacking white cake.

I freeze the cakes.  I put in dowel rods and separator plates.  I level evenly.

And yet, sometimes, it still starts to lean.  Is it the white cake?  Is the white

cake to soft to stack and stay?  I always worry it's going to lean too much 

and fall.  Any suggestions to keep it from starting to lean after stacking?  

Thanks y'all.

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Apr 2017 , 1:21am
post #2 of 10

you cut the dowel to be same length to each other -- you don't place them -- then clip them to the top of the tier -- you put one in -- mark it -- pull it out -- cut it -- and cut all the dowel the same as that one -- then put them in --

also make sure your cake tier is balanced on the dowel -- put them well within the perimeter of the cake that will sis atop them -- so it can bear the weight efficiently --

it's not the white cake

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Apr 2017 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 10

........k8 said: ......... put them well within the perimeter of the cake that will sis atop them .......

Let's say you are placing an 8" on top of a 10" cake then you makr the top of the 10" with an 8 or even 7" cakecircle and place the dowels inside that circle.  Basically the same would happen with any sizes you are stacking. 

Make sure each layer of c ake is level before filliing or any further work is done on it.  I'm very sure it has nothing to do with what cake flavor you are putting together :)

tudie123 Posted 13 Apr 2017 , 1:45pm
post #4 of 10

It just seems like it leans more and more over time.  I think they were even/level.  I have not tried putting the dowels in the cake circle.  Sometimes I use big (shake) straws as the "dowels".  Just weird that once they look like they are leaning just a little, it just continues to lean more until it looks like it will fall.  Thanks for your advise!!!!

tudie123 Posted 13 Apr 2017 , 1:46pm
post #5 of 10

I sometimes put lots and lots and still it seems to lean.  UGH.  Thanks for your advise and help!!!!

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 13 Apr 2017 , 2:59pm
post #6 of 10

For cake 8 inches or smaller, i usually place 4 to 6 dowels about 1 to 1 1/2 inches inward from where the outer edge of the tier will set.

For larger tiers I usually use up to 8 dowels about 2 inches in from the edge where the tier will sit, then add 4 more dowels about 2 inches from the center of the cake so that there are basically two circles of dowels...well an outer circle and and inner square set.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 13 Apr 2017 , 3:02pm
post #7 of 10

I always cut my dowels to the same height!  But I have watched a couple of recognized named decorator push those bubble straws into a cake, then just mark the cake top with their finger, lift the straw a bit, then clip with scissors and push back in....they must have amazing skills in leveling and filling cakes.....

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Apr 2017 , 3:22pm
post #8 of 10

The support system supports the cake.  The flavor/texture/denseness/lightness/etc of cake has nothing to do with it.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Apr 2017 , 7:34pm
post #9 of 10

No problem using straws.  As leah says it is the support system that holds the cake up.  One could tier whipped cream with the right supports.   Jeff is right on:)   Maybe I am misunderstanding your reply but don't put the dowels 'in the cake circle' just use it to mark the cake/icing to know where to put the doweling.   

tudie123 Posted 13 Apr 2017 , 7:46pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks everyone.  Not sure what I am not doing right, but I will try harder to make sure it's all level and such.  Thought I did, but thats what I get for thinking.  Try try again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%