Isomalt Magnifying Glass Question

Decorating By KarenOR Updated 11 Apr 2017 , 1:41am by KarenOR

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 8 Apr 2017 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 6

I bought isomalt for the first time and melted the crystals so that I could save the pieces to melt later, which is basically what the nibs are from what I understand.  Anyway, I saw that I can pour it into a round metal cookie cutter.  Good so far, though haven't done that yet.

So, the question is how to get the the frame and the handle to stick to it?  What would you use modeling chocolate, fondant, gumpaste?

If I wrap it tight enough, will it just stick?  I imagine they will be lying down on the cake, not standing up, though I haven't finalized the design yet.

Thanks!

5 replies
KarenOR Posted 10 Apr 2017 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 6

Anyone know?

nannytime7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannytime7 Posted 10 Apr 2017 , 5:17pm
post #3 of 6

I think I would make the outer ring and handle out of gum paste and put the isomalt  inside the ring .  I would think if you made the outer ring the same size as you used for the isomalt it should fit inside.

KarenOR Posted 10 Apr 2017 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 6

Right, but how would the inner isomalt attach to the gumpaste?  What would be strong enough to hold it together and still be clear.

yellowdog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellowdog Posted 10 Apr 2017 , 10:43pm
post #5 of 6

Okay, here's my two cents worth: You will need a silicone pad, some fondant (with Gum Tex or Tylose Powder added), isomalt.  Add some Tylose Powder to your fondant to make it stronger, the amount you add depends on the amount of fondant you are working with.  A teaspoon to maybe a tablespoon of Tylose.

1. Cut a strip of fondant about 1/4 inch wide and a 1/4 inch thick and form it around your circle cutter.

2. Now would be the time to form your handle out of the fondant and attach the two ends of your strip to the handle with the circle cutter still in place.  Hope this makes sense.

3. Remove your cutter.  The fondant should hold the shape of the magnifying glass.  Pour your isomalt into the circle, making sure to get the isomalt level with the top of the strip.  Let cool. The use of a low fan will help in the cooling process.  Did I mention that you want to do this on a silicone pad or at least parchment paper.

4.  Paint your fondant silver with a brown handle or whatever colors you choose.  I hope this helps and that you can follow my thinking here.  If you have any questions, I'll be happy to try and answer them for you.

Good Luck

KarenOR Posted 11 Apr 2017 , 1:41am
post #6 of 6

Thanks.  I tried it making the lense first and that seemed to work, because the modeling chocolate/gumpaste mix was able to support and wrap around and keep it in.  I don't love it, so I'll try it again . 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%