Cake Pricing

Baking By Liana_ohh Updated 9 Apr 2017 , 8:53pm by kakeladi

Liana_ohh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liana_ohh Posted 8 Apr 2017 , 8:48pm
post #1 of 2

Hi everyone!

I'm doing a cake that's three layers but only needs to feed 50 people. It's a pretty extravagant Princess Bride cake with fondant and was just wondering how things are normally priced. I do a lot of baking for family and friends and feel as if I under price. Some suggestions would be helpful! :)

1 reply
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Apr 2017 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 2

Most of us use the Wilton Wedding cake chart to figure out how many servings there will be in a given cake creation.   You say it's '3 layers' but to serve 50 people.  You must mean 3 tiers.   A layer is one cake - usually 1" or 2" tall, and2 or 3 are put together with filling to make up a tier.  You need to figure out how much per serving you want to charge.   From what I gather that can vary greately from area to area   (could be anywhere from $3 to $20 or more per serving!)   - do you live in a rural area, small town, large city?  What are the living expences in your area?  What are other decorators in your area charging?  How much is it costing you to make that cake?  There is so very much that must be figured into costing out a wedding cake!  There are many, many threads on this site (& I would guess others) that should help you figure these things out.    If you feel you are underpricing yourself, then most likely you are.  The VERY NEXT cake you price - raise the price by 20% at least, then maybe the next one after that another 10%.  You probably will get some people who will 'scream' and not order but better than you 'giving away' your work.......because that's probably what you are doing :)  Most likely you are paying them to order from you......with low prices.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%