Friday Night Cake Club For 4/7/17

Decorating By catlharper Updated 14 Apr 2017 , 5:03pm by catlharper

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 8 Apr 2017 , 3:55am
post #1 of 34

Opening up another session of the FNCC! ALL levels of cakers are welcome to share their week, photos of their work, ask for help if needed or provide help if they can!

Cat 

33 replies
Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 8 Apr 2017 , 4:52am
post #2 of 34

I wanted to thank those for suggestions for my cake this week.

I have been really busy this week so I did keep it simple and went with the toy dinosaurs. I bought candles that spark and I will get the dry ice tomorrow on the way to deliver.

Friday Night Cake Club For 4/7/17H

ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 8 Apr 2017 , 5:10am
post #3 of 34

Friday Night Cake Club For 4/7/17Very cool @Marian64 ‍ 

there's mine, next fondant job will be perfect right? Also customer has pucks and a small stick to place on the cake 

shellbell181 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellbell181 Posted 8 Apr 2017 , 6:16am
post #4 of 34

This was my first chocolate drip cake, I wish I could do them all the time so quick and easy!! The person this was for (colleague from work) has had a couple of cakes from me before and this time he wanted one for himself, he asked for a plain and simple chocolate cake.... Yeah ok no sorry I can't do simple lol!!! So he got quite a surprise when he saw it!!

Marian64 Posted 8 Apr 2017 , 11:06am
post #5 of 34

@ElizabethsCakeCreations ‍ thanks! Yes the next one will be perfect or that is what I keep telling myself. I really do like the cake and I am sure he will too. 

@shellbell181 ‍I just love your cake!

Shanelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shanelly Posted 8 Apr 2017 , 4:51pm
post #6 of 34

I only started decorating cakes about 2 months ago. Self taught so im not that great yet. My mom decided she wanted her car in a cake. It looked awesome in my head.. didn't come out as good lol my husband came home and said "that cake is hideous!" Im pretty embarrassed to bring it to her party today. At least it will taste good right? I had planned on the car being raised on a piece of wood with nails on the bottom so the tires hung down.  It didn't work so i tried to make the tires smaller and gave up trying to get it to look right. Lol

Friday Night Cake Club For 4/7/17Friday Night Cake Club For 4/7/17Friday Night Cake Club For 4/7/17

Njewett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Njewett Posted 8 Apr 2017 , 5:47pm
post #7 of 34

I made a tree stump cake this weekend for lumberjack themed birthday party.  Friday Night Cake Club For 4/7/17

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 9 Apr 2017 , 11:16am
post #8 of 34

I think for a first attempt your car is not all that bad! It's recognisably a car and I think proportion-wise you did okay too. Next time maybe just spend a little more time preparing and planning? It would be an ambitious project for a more experienced caker so good on you for even giving it a go! I was a total chicken with my first car cake and bought the 3D mould. Looking forward to watching your skills develop

me_me1 Posted 9 Apr 2017 , 11:18am
post #9 of 34

Friday Night Cake Club For 4/7/17Friday Night Cake Club For 4/7/17

me_me1 Posted 9 Apr 2017 , 11:21am
post #10 of 34

I had one wedding and one birthday this weekend. Very similar styles requested! Spent two days dehydrating raspberries for one of them, crushed it into a pretty powder to sprinkle on.

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 9 Apr 2017 , 12:17pm
post #11 of 34

Good morning! The sun is here this morning and I'm all cheered up! I have'nt seen it in about 2 weeks. It is going to be a good day...

I have no cake to share this week.

@Marian64 ‍ I'm sure your cake was a hit with the sparks and the dry ice smoke!

@ElizabethsCakeCreations ‍ great looking cake! I'm telling myself the same thing... "the next one will be perfect" I still hope that day will come! It does get easier with practice though.

@shellbell181 ‍ that cake is heaven for chocolate lovers. Looks so decadent! How did you achieve the marble effect on the side? Is it ganache smoothed whit a hot spatula?

@Shanelly ‍ I admire your courage for diving in a project like that. I think you did good. Your cake is certainly not hidieous! It is not perfect, but there is nothing to be ashamed of.

@Njewett ‍ your stump cake is stunning. I think it is the most realistic stump cake I ever seen!

@me_me1 ‍ both your cakes looks beautiful. The white semi naked one is my favorite. So elegant!

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 9 Apr 2017 , 2:09pm
post #12 of 34

I just took a peek at this thread and was just loving everyone's projects! So nice!

dolce67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolce67 Posted 9 Apr 2017 , 4:31pm
post #13 of 34

This is my first time posting to this group and I'm not sure how visible my pix will be. But, this week I was asked to make a last minute cake for a birthday....two days before actual burthday, no problem right?!?! Well, here is the cake. Client was happily satisfied, stressful days totally worth it! May everyone have a succesful cake week!

shellbell181 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellbell181 Posted 9 Apr 2017 , 5:11pm
post #14 of 34

Thank u so much @Laetia and to answer ur question I used chocolate ganache and did it like a semi naked cake so the marble effect is just the cake showing through!!

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 9 Apr 2017 , 6:34pm
post #15 of 34

Happy Sunday everyone!  It's finally feeling like spring has arrived here so it's a nice change.  Still plenty of snow to melt where it had drifted and is in the shade for a good chunk of the day but I am hopeful it will be gone by next weekend for Easter.

Everyone has done a great job with their cakes this week.  I'm being lazy and not taking time to comment on them all like I usually do but want to give a couple shout outs.

@Shanelly ‍ ‍ your cake is not hideous.  Vehicles are hard to do and I'd say you did great for having only been at it for a couple of months.

@Njewett ‍ that stump is perfect! Great work!

@dolce67 ‍ welcome to FNCC :-)   Pretty cake!

I had one cake this week.  One of my best friends asked me to do a cake for her niece who was turning 16.  She sent me a collage of 5 cakes ranked in order of her favorite on down.  None of them were what I would expect a 16 year old to ask for and her favorite was actually a wedding cake.  There was no watermark on the photo to give credit to who made it though  The marbling on mine looks quite different from the photo I was sent but I was told the birthday girl loved it :-)   An add on request was from her mom to do a "16" topper with the "6" as a treble clef.  I was told the birthday girl wanted sparklers on the cake rather than candles or any other details such as flowers so I left it up to them to place the topper where they wanted it.   Because of that I don't have any pictures of the cake with the topper.  

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 9 Apr 2017 , 6:35pm
post #16 of 34

Njewett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Njewett Posted 9 Apr 2017 , 8:13pm
post #17 of 34

Laetia and kstevens thank you for the compliments. Everyone has great cakes this week. The cake was a lot of fun to make. 

Marian64 Posted 10 Apr 2017 , 1:27am
post #18 of 34

@Njewett ‍ best tree stump cake I have seen, very realistic.

@Shanelly ‍ it looks like a car and I am sure your mom loved it.

@me_me1 great cakes.

Marian64 Posted 10 Apr 2017 , 1:31am
post #19 of 34

@dolce67 ‍ beautiful cake

@kstevens ‍great job. I am sure she was happy.

Hope everyone enjoyed the weekends.

catlharper Posted 10 Apr 2017 , 3:22am
post #20 of 34

@Njewett ‍ I agree...best tree stump cake I have seen, very realistic.

@Shanelly ‍ My first car cake experience was much the same. I was totally traumatized by it. In fact, to this day, as experienced as I am, I won't do a car cake. But you are right...no matter what, it still tastes good!

Love the cakes this week everyone! 

I have just one coming up this week and I'll try to share it Friday night. It's my grandson's 6th birthday and it's ending with a family dinner so I'll be on here as soon as I can after!

Cat

ZeKe221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZeKe221 Posted 10 Apr 2017 , 11:51am
post #21 of 34

Here is this weeks cake.

Friday Night Cake Club For 4/7/17Friday Night Cake Club For 4/7/17Friday Night Cake Club For 4/7/17

catlharper Posted 10 Apr 2017 , 3:03pm
post #22 of 34

@ZeKe221 ‍ That is simply adorable! Whenever I make little figures like that I hate to give them away because they are so cute!

ZeKe221 Posted 10 Apr 2017 , 4:05pm
post #23 of 34

@catlharper ‍ thanks, it was my 1st try at a figure. I found making the bows harder haha.

Marian64 Posted 11 Apr 2017 , 1:51am
post #24 of 34

@ZeKe221 ‍what a sweet cake and that bear is just adorable.

sm0kinkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sm0kinkitchen Posted 11 Apr 2017 , 2:34am
post #25 of 34

I would love to start participating in this thread as I'm practicing new skills, trying to find a reason to make one cake a week haha.

I have a question though.... When you go to post your picture, does it look gigantic in the text box? I tried to earlier and was scared to submit because it was either huge or super zoomed in on one flower on my cake.... Am I doing something wrong? 

dolce67 Posted 11 Apr 2017 , 3:46am
post #26 of 34

@sm0kinkitchen I don't have too much experience but when I uploaded mine, I had the same thing happen and it came out fine, just sideways.

sm0kinkitchen Posted 11 Apr 2017 , 8:02pm
post #27 of 34

alright @dolce67 you made me brave. Attempt #1 made this cake last Friday and is probably my best yet (I just started wilton course 1 in January, I'm in course 3 now and have never done this before this year but I Loooove it!) 

dolce67 Posted 12 Apr 2017 , 12:59am
post #28 of 34

@sm0kinkitchen That's the spirit! I wish you great success!

sm0kinkitchen Posted 12 Apr 2017 , 11:03am
post #29 of 34

ZeKe221 Posted 12 Apr 2017 , 4:33pm
post #30 of 34

@Marian64 ‍ Thanks :)

@sm0kinkitchen ‍ i love the basket. how did you do that?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%