Design Ideas Needed Pls! I Am Stumped. Making A Cake For A 90 Yr Old.

Decorating By ConnieCakes14 Updated 8 Apr 2017 , 3:28pm by -K8memphis

ConnieCakes14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieCakes14 Posted 7 Apr 2017 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 6

I have a bday cake order for a 90 yr old man next week. They want a two tiered buttercream cake with Cincinnati Reds theme, and don't mind fondant decor. I can't think of a good design for it! I was thinking a white buttercream cake with red buttercream borders and accents. A gumpaste baseball with the number 90 as a topper. And the team logo somewhere on the cake. What other things, designs, can I put on this? 

5 replies
wntrdove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wntrdove Posted 7 Apr 2017 , 9:01pm
post #2 of 6

If you did the one tier in red, you could do another tier in white and then use red buttercream to create a baseball stitching pattern on it. if you're planning on covering in fondant this could also work with fondant decorations I think, but I mostly work in buttercream and if I add fondant it's as an accent.

I also did a quick google and it looks like the Reds uniform from 1919-1933 (when your birthday boy would've been a young'n) was a gray on gray pinstripe which could be kind of awesome and elegant looking. The same image also shows that they've used red and white pinstripes in the last decade.

wntrdove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wntrdove Posted 7 Apr 2017 , 9:20pm
post #3 of 6

Addendum post: Looks like that gray pinstripe was from the away uniform in that time frame. But it looks like the reds have used gray and navy on uniforms throughout their history if you'd like an accent color. And I still think gray on gray pinstripes would look cool. :)

ConnieCakes14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieCakes14 Posted 7 Apr 2017 , 11:47pm
post #4 of 6

The old Red's uniform, I didnt think about that :O! Thank you very much. I think I have a good design in mind thanks to you.

shdvl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shdvl Posted 8 Apr 2017 , 2:42am
post #5 of 6

Another idea, find out numbers of Reds greats or numbers the team have retired and add them on sides of the tiers. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Apr 2017 , 3:28pm
post #6 of 6

i love these ideas -- especially the red baseball stitching on the cake tiers 

good stuff

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%