Disgrunteled Customers!

Business By CannonsCakes Updated 8 Jun 2017 , 6:43am by mkcherry

CannonsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CannonsCakes Posted 7 Apr 2017 , 3:20am
post #1 of 11

So I am sure that we have all had them, and we know that they are completely wrong, but you don't want to call them out.  How do you handle someone who says that's not the cake they ordered when it is actually the exact cake they ordered.  Now we will fix until my little heart desires but sometimes you can't please them, I would be interested in hearing how others handle these situations.  Also another issue we are having lately is the customer calls us on Friday for a cake on Saturday, they show up early on Saturday and then demand money off because they have to wait.  We have started baking extra cakes and making them choose from that list on anything under 24 hours, but how do you guys handle last minute requests (which always seem to be the worst customers to begin with)

10 replies
johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 7 Apr 2017 , 10:59am
post #2 of 11

So I am sure that we have all had them, and we know that they are completely wrong, but you don't want to call them out.  How do you handle someone who says that's not the cake they ordered when it is actually the exact cake they ordered. 

*** attach their SIGNED order form or email order form****

Now we will fix until my little heart desires but sometimes you can't please them, I would be interested in hearing how others handle these situations.  Also another issue we are having lately is the customer calls us on Friday for a cake on Saturday, they show up early on Saturday and then demand money off because they have to wait.  We have started baking extra cakes and making them choose from that list on anything under 24 hours, but how do you guys handle last minute requests (which always seem to be the worst customers to begin with)

***Don't take last minute orders!....Or you need to specify, especially if last minute, exactly when the cake will be ready. Again, having a copy in writing gives them no "wiggle room" to complain. ***

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 7 Apr 2017 , 12:15pm
post #3 of 11

I will NEVER forget the lovely 3 tier cake made years ago (did not get pic). Woman who ordered it said it was pretty, but did not have enough red roses. WHAT?? I matched the picture exactly. I counted, then did the math for areas not visible in pic, and had no more/no less than the pic. She just kept saying under her breath, "I expected more roses." When I realized she was not going to let it go, I welcomed her to go back and take another look at the pic she gave me, then politely excused myself and left.

ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 7 Apr 2017 , 1:14pm
post #4 of 11

This is why I do detailed invoices and pictures and drawings. No room for error because it's down in writing way beforehand. Also like alot of us I'm a home baker to even 4 days notice usually not enough. I will take these orders but it has to be worth it, I calculate my price to charge and add a last minute fee. I don't usually get the customers for those lol

Cake Majic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake Majic Posted 7 Apr 2017 , 1:45pm
post #5 of 11

I'm a home baker, and usually don't take very last minute orders, as in the past it always turns out to be a huge headache, and not worth the headaches that comes with it, and the client never wants to pay an additional fee included in pricing for the inconvenience, or frustrations it causes you.

All my orders are in writing usually thru emails, and or messaging. After the order is placed, I will contact the client by email or messaging to update & confirm all order details, and usually again 12-14 days prior to delivery date. Also I keep record of all messages, and order details to ensure we are both on the same page, and have proof of if needed. Even if the order was made in person by client, or by phone call, a follow up thru email, or messaging is a must as clients can be very unclear about what they want, or hear at times, and that is something I try my best to avoid, but not always easy. It's a little bit of extra work, but I assure you it will help with some of the headaches that can, and will occur if not recorded, and reminded, and confirmed. This way of order detail confirmation to me is just as important as making the beautiful cakes.

Many of times I have given pricing, and asked the client to let me know if they want to confirm, and place order, and they don't, but assume all is good. Why? I have no idea, but they think the order is scheduled for some reason without even a simple yes, or deposit paid. So with my past office, and sales experience, I go back, and follow up, and confirm yes or no, and if yes a deposit is needed to hold date for delivery, and confirm order. I have a lot of prior customer service, and sales experience from being an former insurance agent, and office mgr, and apply that 20 yrs experience to my cake clients.  Just the way I do things, and I hope this is of some help to others.

Cake Majic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake Majic Posted 15 Apr 2017 , 1:26am
post #6 of 11

Very frustrating for all

plcharles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plcharles Posted 26 Apr 2017 , 12:21am
post #7 of 11

I've gotten much better with myself and my business in making sure things are in writing and I have agreement. Thankful I've not had many disgruntled customers! I also collect a deposit for the larger cakes. I think my biggest pain point or pet peeve is bride and grooms making an appointment for a cake tasting consultation and I go through all the paces in baking a variety of cakes and then plating it and the potential customer is a no-show. No communication at all. So I've taken to confirming appts. Some times it makes me want to charge for cake tasting and then apply it to the bill if they order. Does anyone out there actually charge for tastings?

plcharles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plcharles Posted 26 Apr 2017 , 12:23am
post #8 of 11

I've gotten much better with myself and my business in making sure things are in writing and I have agreement. Thankful I've not had many disgruntled customers! I also collect a deposit for the larger cakes. I think my biggest pain point or pet peeve is bride and grooms making an appointment for a cake tasting consultation and I go through all the paces in baking a variety of cakes and then plating it and the potential customer is a no-show. No communication at all. So I've taken to confirming appts. Some times it makes me want to charge for cake tasting and then apply it to the bill if they order. Does anyone out there actually charge for tastings?

CannonsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CannonsCakes Posted 23 May 2017 , 6:08pm
post #9 of 11

We have juggled around the idea of charging for tastings, but in reality we bake cake every day so what is it to give a few cupcakes to someone who is potentially ordering hundreds of dollars of cake.  I know thats not the case for home bakers, but not charging I hear a lot of negative feedback from customers who had an experience from someone that did charge.  We take appointments and then put then into our calendar, we then call a day before to remind them of the appointment.  In most cases this works, but then you have the people who show up considerably late and then your with your next consultation and they expect you to stop.  We just politely ask them if they stopped in at that point to reschedule (so it kind of seems like its all on them) *which it is lol.....But deposits or not if you want to avoid chargebacks I have learned you MUST have a signed contract other wise those credit card companies rip that money right out of your account.  

Ayumi18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ayumi18 Posted 6 Jun 2017 , 11:13pm
post #10 of 11

Oh yes we definitely had a number of disgruntled customers over the years, the majority of complaints coming from people who feel that we didn't meet their expectations (even when we made it clear that we couldn't replicate the cake they showed us) or get this, getting mad that they chose the wrong flavor because they didn't remember what they had the year before. Fortunately, we haven't had too many problems with our refund system. We simply tell them to bring back the cake and they'll get a full refund. 8/10 times they back off and just never come back. 

mkcherry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkcherry Posted 8 Jun 2017 , 6:43am
post #11 of 11

I charge for wedding tastings, unless they are willing to try flavors I already have on hand. If they want specific flavors, they pay for it, most are happy to take the freebies but of the few dozen tastings I've had that were paid (I only charge $20.00 and it goes towards the cake deposit if they book) I've booked all but one or two. I don't make any money on tastings when people don't book but it takes a bite out of all that it cost me (napkins, trays, time baking / making icing / cleaning, driving and the time of the consultation). 

I write up excruciatingly detailed cake contracts, I will list exactly how many sugar flowers and the minimum size they will be in inches,  I always mention that an exact color match is often not possible etc etc. and they really come in handy in the rare case of a dispute. I also photograph my cakes before any hand off / when I leave after delivery. If someone smudges / bumps / drops or leaves the cake outside in san diego to melt I have seen them try and come back and say it was delivered damaged. Sending back a time stamped photo and the line of the contract that says we aren't responsible for damage that occurs after the hand off really helps end those disputes 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%