Another 15.25-16.5 Oz Cake Mix Question

Baking By bvwilliams Updated 1 Dec 2017 , 11:32pm by kakeladi

bvwilliams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bvwilliams Posted 3 Apr 2017 , 5:20am
post #1 of 31

Sorry everyone. But I have to ask again.  Has anyone REALLY found a fool proof solution to the smaller cake mix fiasco?  I never worried about it before because I started buying my local grocery store brand because it still came in the 18.25 size.  Well, I went to buy some a week ago and SURPRISE...they have now phased out of the 18.25 oz and gone to the smaller size like everyone else.  Darn it!  

I've tried some of the suggestions made on C.C. but I must be doing something wrong because after doctoring the smaller mixes, they still don't turn out the way I want them too.  I've even had a cake crumble after cutting into it.  Glad I practiced before actually making it for someone.  

I've tried Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker and Pillsbury.  I've tried adding 3/4  cups of flour and I've tried added 6 TBLs (as suggested by the cake mix doctor), but I still don't think they're the same when you cut them.  What am I doing wrong and has anyone else had this issue?  Is there a better solution that I haven't tried that actually works?  I added the flour to the dry mix then preceding with the doctored recipe?  Please help!  I know you guys are probably tired of answering the same question.  But I'm late in the game since I've had access to the 18.25 oz until last week.  Bummer!

30 replies
srichmond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srichmond Posted 3 Apr 2017 , 12:16pm
post #2 of 31

Can you buy two mixes and just measure out 18.25oz?

bvwilliams Posted 3 Apr 2017 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 31

Thanks srichmond.  I haven't tried this one yet because I've heard that this still doesn't work when you're doctoring your mix because the manufactures have also changed the formulation of their mixes. Have you tried this already for a cake doctor recipe? I'll have to give it a shot and see if it works for me.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Apr 2017 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 31

I have found when usiing my *original* WASC cake receipe that I do not have to alter/change the smaller packages to have the same great results.   At 1st I did use another box and measure out the additional dry mix but somewhere along the way I forgot to do so and found it works just fime w/the smaller mixes.   You might only notice a slight differnce if making say a 14 or 16" cake.........that more batter might be needed.

bvwilliams Posted 3 Apr 2017 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 31

Kakeladi, will you share you WASC recipe?

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 3 Apr 2017 , 9:25pm
post #6 of 31

You can always buy two cake mixes, mix both up with doubled ingredients and if you have an extra layer put it in freezer to use with the next cake you make or make extra cupcakes to eat for your family. I don't buy them any more because of these issues. I am sure a lot of people have quit buying them and probably they do not sell as many any more of them. The corporations have gotten GREEDY and I hope they go out of business because of their greed!!!

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 3 Apr 2017 , 9:26pm
post #7 of 31

I would have rather them (cake boxes) just increase their price a little bit instead of changing their formula's and making boxes with less ingredients!!!

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 3 Apr 2017 , 10:24pm
post #8 of 31

Last week at Michaels I saw they are now carrying a brand of boxed cake mixes in the original 18.25 ounce size....they had a white and chocolate mix.  Might be worth checking into.

4laynes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4laynes Posted 3 Apr 2017 , 10:32pm
post #9 of 31

I keep an extra mix on hand and add 3/4 cup to to the recipe.

kakeladi Posted 3 Apr 2017 , 11:05pm
post #10 of 31

Here's the recipe.   Please take the time to read all - especailly the comments.  There is lots of infromation and helpful hints included.

http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

bvwilliams Posted 4 Apr 2017 , 12:27am
post #11 of 31

Thanks for the suggestion.  But my problem isn't the amount of batter the new box yields as much as the the cake holding up when the mix (straight out the box) is used with a Cake Doctor recipe.

bvwilliams Posted 4 Apr 2017 , 12:30am
post #12 of 31

I agree.  I would rather pay slightly more for the 18.25 mix.  Cake Doctor sales it, but her's is a bit pricey.

bvwilliams Posted 4 Apr 2017 , 12:32am
post #13 of 31

Wow! Thanks, Jeff.  I'll have to check out my Michael's store.  If they carry it here, I'm going to buy several boxes. smile

CannonsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CannonsCakes Posted 7 Apr 2017 , 3:30am
post #14 of 31

Honestly the best thing to do is use the smaller box and follow the recipe on the back of the box...if you are adding instant pudding to the mix use an extra egg per 1/2 cup of pudding (which is typically about 1 small box).  But don't stray away from the recipe on the box to much, they have spent countless hours perfecting it for people who can't mix and bake on there own.

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 7 Apr 2017 , 3:39am
post #15 of 31

Or, what if we all call the manufacturers and tell them they are seriously messing up our cakes / businesses!

I like the suggestion of taking the needed amount from another box of mix. Just make sure it weighs 18.25. I understand your point in your post #11, but I still wonder if it has something to do with that missing bit of mix.

Wishing you much luck &a successful baking with all these shorter boxes. (((Hugs)))

bvwilliams Posted 7 Apr 2017 , 8:09pm
post #16 of 31

Thanks, TC123.  I guess I'll have to try that when I'm using a Cake Doctor recipes.  If it doesn't turn out the way I hope, I guess my husband can take it to work.  wink

That you everyone for all your suggestions!

vmanbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmanbakes Posted 17 Jul 2017 , 3:03pm
post #17 of 31

walmart has new cake mixes and they are 25 oz

Another 15.25-16.5 Oz Cake Mix Question

Jeff_Arnett Posted 18 Jul 2017 , 12:26am
post #18 of 31

I tried one of the Sam's Choice mixes.  You need to try if for yourself...but I was not impressed with the texture or flavor.

aldonza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aldonza Posted 18 Jul 2017 , 1:40am
post #19 of 31

I use  aldi  white cake mix (baker's corner?)  16.5 oz  and I use @kakeladi ‍ WASC recipe and it comes out perfect.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 18 Jul 2017 , 2:04am
post #20 of 31

Since the weight reduction down to 15 oz. in box mixes I've found that they do not stretch all the way to make 2 dozen cupcakes.  I've learned that by adding 1/4 cup all purpose flour + 1/4 cup granulated sugar & 1/2 cup sour cream...... it makes a nice tasting moist batter, full cake mix and I can get all 24 cuppies made. 

That's my solution for a single box mix for a quickie small cake/cupcake need.  Having used the original @kakeladi ‍ recipe with good results I like to use her recipe when I need more than that small amount of batter. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 18 Jul 2017 , 2:13am
post #21 of 31

I, too use @kakeladi ‍'s original WASC recipe, but I do, most of the time, add one cup of additional cake mix to bring it up to the old weight and I have never had a problem.  Like kakeladi, I have also made it without the addition of more cake mix and it still worked out fine, just slightly softer.

bvwilliams Posted 18 Jul 2017 , 8:54pm
post #22 of 31

I'll have to try Kakeladi's recipe for my next cake.  Thanks everyone.

vmanbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmanbakes Posted 25 Jul 2017 , 3:14pm
post #23 of 31

Betty crocker has  come out with a new cake mix that is 19.2 oz.  I don't know if it would work well with the wasc or cake mix extender recipes though.

Another 15.25-16.5 Oz Cake Mix QuestionAnother 15.25-16.5 Oz Cake Mix Question

kakeladi Posted 25 Jul 2017 , 7:59pm
post #24 of 31

The WASC recipe was based on box mixes being 18.2 oz. so this new size is only a tid more and should not cause any problems.  I guess I'm going to have to bake up a cake w/it to see how/if it is any different!  LOL

bvwilliams Posted 5 Aug 2017 , 1:15am
post #25 of 31

What stores sell these new Betty Crocker cake mixes?

Jeff_Arnett Posted 5 Aug 2017 , 2:39am
post #26 of 31

I saw them at Walmart.

sylly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sylly Posted 6 Aug 2017 , 5:50am
post #27 of 31

I also use the WASC recipe and I haven't seen the need to add additional ounces from another box. A lot of recipes have had to change because it's not just the size of the box that has changed. Our cake club got in touch with someone from one of the major brands and they justify it by saying that it still bakes the same sizes. While that isn't true for cupcakes exactly, it is true for 8" and 9" cakes. It's because they have added more leveners to the mixes. They still rise the same, but you'll notice that there are a lot more air holes in your cakes. Let it sit on the counter for a half an hour and it almost doubles in size in the bowl! It doesn't change the taste, in my opinion, but it does change the texture and it makes for an almost too soft cake. Most of them require more oil now as well. They need the fat to help avoid them crumbling, but I have found it to be better to use the original 1/3 cup or 1/4 cup, not 1/2. (Unless its chocolate)

bvwilliams Posted 7 Aug 2017 , 1:39am
post #28 of 31

Thanks Jeff_Arnett and thanks sylly.

CannonsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CannonsCakes Posted 1 Dec 2017 , 10:15pm
post #29 of 31

We are still having a huge issue with the cakes rising using instant pudding and an extra egg per box.  No one seems to have a solution, but adding more mix is not a solution.  It is changing the profile of the cake because they have changed the chemical makeup of the smaller box so it requires what is listed on the box.  How does the wasc recipe hold up unrefrigerated?  We bake a lot of cakes and simply cannot hold them all in the fridge.  Looking forward to your responses!    

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Dec 2017 , 11:11pm
post #30 of 31

i never had good results with added pudding so i eliminated it -- but i'm not saying that will help fix your issue -- i just never got it to work with pudding -- i used to add dream whip to my cakes though -- that worked great

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%