Home Made Cake Mix

Baking By lelaperez317 Updated 30 Mar 2017 , 6:37pm by brianswifey2009

lelaperez317 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lelaperez317 Posted 30 Mar 2017 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 6

So I do cakes on the side (like a lot of folks here!) and sometime just to save on cost and time I use a box mix. My cake requests have been picking up a bit and instead buying box mixes I was think about making a bulk cake mix. Does any know of a good recipe?

5 replies
Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 30 Mar 2017 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 6

Basically any scratch recipe could be made into a mix.

Here's my basic vanilla recipe.  When I have a heavy week I usually make the "mix" ahead of time and store in gallon zip locks.  You could multiply it for any number of cakes....once basic recipe makes three eight inch layers.

In a food processor or the bowl of a stand mixer using a WHISK attachment, combine:

500 grams White Lily AP Flour [my preferred brand...use your favorite]

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

3/4 teaspoon baking soda

3 cups sugar

Blend well.

Add 3/4 cup shortening or 3/4 cup room temperature butter.

Process in the food processor  or mix with the whisk attachment of your mixer until the mixture resembles coarse sand.

Store in a gallon zip lock bag.  If using butter, I refrigerate, if shortening the counter top is fine.

********************************************************************

To make one three layer 8 inch round cake:

Prepare three 8 x 2 inch pans.  Preheat oven to 325 F.

Combine one bag of mix with 2 cups room temperature buttermilk and 1 tablespoon vanilla.

Blend on low to combine ingredients.  Set timer for 3 minutes,  then mix at medium speed for 1 1/2 minutes.

While the mixer continues to run, add 4 large room temperature eggs one at a time, allowing each to be absorbed into the batter before adding the next.  Scrape bowl.  

Continue mixing the remaining time left of the three minutes.

Divide batter between pans.  Bake at 325 F until cakes test done. by lightly touching in the center; they should spring back and leave no dent.

Cool in pans 5 minutes, remove, wrap completely in plastic wrap and freeze or chill until ready to use.

You can vary this basic recipe:

Yellow cake - Add two extra yolks with the eggs.  Use butter instead of shortening.

Red Velvet cake - Add 1 to 2  tablespoons cocoa to the flour mixture.  Add 1/3 cup oil to the buttermilk before adding to flour mixture.  Add 1 to 2 ounces liquid red color (to get the desired red shade) combined with 1 teaspoon white vinegar.

Italian Creme cake - add 3/4 cup each chopped pecans and toasted coconut towards the end of the mixing cycle.

Lemon cake - Make a flavor mixture of the zest of one lemon, 1 tablespoon lemon emulsion or extract, 2 tablespoon lemon juice and 1-2 drop yellow food coloring.  Add with the buttermilk.

Strawberry cake - Microwave 12 ounces frozen strawberries for 5 minutes until partially melted and releasing liquid.  Puree the berries with an immersion blender (or in a food processor) then return to the microwave and cook for 4 minutes on high.  Stir the mixture, the microwave in one minute intervals, stirring after each, until a thick paste is formed.  Stir in a few drop of red food coloring and cool to room temperature.  Add to the batter after the eggs and scrape the bowl well to make sure the strawberry paste in well blended.

Butter Pecan cake - Replace 1 cup of the sugar with brown sugar.  Make the cake with butter rather than shortening.  Stir in one cup toasted and chopped pecans toward the end of the mixing cycle.  Sometimes I use Maple Extract too!

lelaperez317 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lelaperez317 Posted 30 Mar 2017 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 6

I can't thank you enough for this:) I really appreciate it, this is exactly what I was looking for!!!

brianswifey2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brianswifey2009 Posted 30 Mar 2017 , 5:34pm
post #4 of 6

Do you have an approximate baking time for this recipe?  Also, how does 500 grams measure into cups?

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 30 Mar 2017 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 6

In my ovens, the layer bake 43-45 minutes...but you'd have to do some testing with yours to get it accurate.

When I measured by cups of flour using the spoon into the cup then sweep it level, it's 4 cups.  Again, that is using White Lily brand...you might get a bit different results with other flours.  

I'd recommend investing in a kitchen scale...it's the only true way to get results that you can consistently repeat.

brianswifey2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brianswifey2009 Posted 30 Mar 2017 , 6:37pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%