Sisters Wedding Cake- Last Minute Panic!!!

Baking By Muffin_Mad Updated 1 Apr 2017 , 1:13pm by -K8memphis

Muffin_Mad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Muffin_Mad Posted 30 Mar 2017 , 9:39am
post #1 of 7

I am making my sisters wedding cake and have already baked all the layers which are currently in the freezer. I am worried though as I have done lemon sponge (recipe below) and have just read that victoria sponge is too flimsy for a wedding cake?! I will be covering it with buttercream and using the dowels between layers. Will it still be too flimsy even if I support it enough? Also how do I work out quantities of buttercream? Do I do the same as I did for the sponge? (E.g recipe x1 for 8 inch cake)Sisters Wedding Cake- Last Minute Panic!!!

6 replies
yellowdog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellowdog Posted 30 Mar 2017 , 12:59pm
post #2 of 7

I don't know how your cakes will work; but I can tell you about my first wedding cake.  It was my first, and I baked all three layers from boxed cake mixes.  I didn't even supplement the mixes with an extender.  I used cake plate separators between the tiers and even had columns holding the top tier.  I have one long dowel down the center on the top and bottom tiers.  This cake lasted all day and into the evening before they cut it and it held up just fine.  I think that if you dowel your cake properly you should be okay.  Keep us updated.  Good Luck. 

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 31 Mar 2017 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 7

If you have sufficient supports in the cake, there should be no actual weight placed on the layers, so your cake should be fine.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Mar 2017 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 7

I have made Victoria Sponge.  Jeff is absolutely correct.  Cake doesn't support cake.  Your support system supports the cake.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 1 Apr 2017 , 1:00am
post #5 of 7

Wow, you are a wonderful sister to do this. Baking and decorating a wedding cake is a lot of work.  Your sister is very lucky to have you!!! Please post a picture of your cake. I am sure everything will turn out fine!!

Muffin_Mad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Muffin_Mad Posted 1 Apr 2017 , 6:15am
post #6 of 7

Thank you all for putting my mind at rest! In terms of the buttercream, do I double the quantities of the recipe as I did for the cake? the wedding is next Saturday so I will post photos when it's finished! Definitely a big task and I am learning lots which is great!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Apr 2017 , 1:13pm
post #7 of 7

http://www.wilton.com/wedding-cake-guide/cms-wedding-cake-data.html

this chart has quantities in cup measurements -- i'm thinking that might not be your measuring method but anyway -- you can get a good idea from it --

and yes double, triple, quadruple, etc. whatever works for your size mixer and your needs 

best to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%