Buttercream Cake With Fondant Decorations?!

Baking By Hopeful713 Updated 7 Apr 2017 , 2:46am by TC123

Hopeful713 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hopeful713 Posted 29 Mar 2017 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 5

Hey everyone! 

This is my first time having a custom cake made. I want a pretty cake, however I hear fondant doesn't taste that good. 

My cake decorator offered to make the cake with buttercream icing with fondant decorations. 

Has anyone ever done this? If so, did it look good? How did it taste?

4 replies
thecakeartist2017 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeartist2017 Posted 5 Apr 2017 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 5

I've done it before and it tastes pretty good. You can just take off the fondant decorations before you cut the cake. Wilton brand fondant tastes pretty good. I have customers that like the fondant and others that dont. For those that don't like it just peel it off! Hope this helps!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Apr 2017 , 9:21pm
post #3 of 5

So sorry you didn't get a more timely reply.......I didn't see this post until now as I guess others didn't:(  I have made many like that as I prefer to work w/b'cream.     Fondant cake taste good if people using it would add extracts.  Taste is so objective.....everyone is different.  Personally I don't care for Wilton's taste unless I add vanilla (usually, but others if the cake flavor calls for it).   I usually ask customers if they have ever had a Tootsie Roll then they have had the chocolate version of fondant.  What most people mean when they say they don't like fondant is the chewy mouth feel of it......it is just not what most of us were raised up eating so therefor it is 'strange' and many don't like the difference from what they are used to eating. 

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 7 Apr 2017 , 1:29am
post #4 of 5

I make butter cream cakes with fondant decos all of the time. I personally don't like the taste of fondant, so I pull the decorations off and set them to the side. 

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 7 Apr 2017 , 2:46am
post #5 of 5

I enjoy fondant. My favorite is when I make my own marshmallow fondant, my 2nd favorite is a store bought brand called Satin Ice.

I think fondant is gaining popularity. I have been using it for about 20 years, and I see more and more people eating it (versus peeling it off).

The best experience I had with people eating fondant was an event at my brother's in-laws. I only saw one person peel it off (this was my MMF recipe).

I agree with @kakeladi ‍ about why people seem to not care for it. It still makes a beautiful cover and decorations. And the decorations could easily be removed before serving, if so desired.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%