Most Cost Efficient Buttercream

Decorating By Mariah4166 Updated 29 Mar 2017 , 6:56pm by hep275

Mariah4166 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mariah4166 Posted 29 Mar 2017 , 2:23pm
post #1 of 7

This may be a silly question but I'm very new to making cakes.  I am making very simple naked cakes for a dear friend's wedding (only charging her my cost) and she has NO PREFERENCE for the type of buttercream.  However, she is on a very tight budget and wants to pay "as little as possible." ;)  Does anyone have an opinion on which buttercream I would use to keep her cost down? American vs. SMBC vs. IMBC  I hope that makes sense.  Thank you so much for any input.

6 replies
yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 29 Mar 2017 , 2:47pm
post #2 of 7

ABC would be cheaper because it has no eggs, and some of the butter could be substituted with shortening.  I don't know the size of your cake and the number of eggs that might be involved, but around my neck of the woods I can get a dozen eggs for 2 or 3 dollars at target.  Maybe at Costco or elsewhere they are even cheaper (I don't belong).   Shortening is a lot cheaper than butter, but doesn't taste nearly as good, so again it depends on the amount and the exact ABC recipe you would be using. I think that SMBC is definitely more expensive but I can't imagine that overall it is more than a 10.00 - 20.00 dollar difference.  Just get the recipes you are considering and work it out either way.  IMO SMBC is so much better - tastes better, smooths better, that it is well worth the small difference in overall price, and is what I would take more pride in.  If this is a dear friend, and you are in a position to do so, why don't you make this your wedding gift to her, and then you can maybe splurge a little.  Good luck !  

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Mar 2017 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 7

More than cost you have to consider taste.  Here is a *great* icing recipe:  http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/22469/2-icing

Peronally I feel a good ABC can be as tasty as SMBC.  To me SMBC or IMBC both taste like your are eating a stick of butter :(  Everyone's taste buds are different!  What one person thinks is 'way too sweet' is probably just right for me :)  Many on here praise SMBC & IMBC but you won't find me in that group.

Mariah4166 Posted 29 Mar 2017 , 5:13pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you for your reply!  I would LOVE to gift her the cakes/cupcakes and am actually picking up some of the cost.  I am not in a position right now to cover all of it. :( But I appreciate your response! :)

Mariah4166 Posted 29 Mar 2017 , 5:17pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you!

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 29 Mar 2017 , 5:47pm
post #6 of 7

I agree with you on that one kakeladi...while I do like SMBC or IMBC, my preference is still my own AMC...I love sweets!!!

hep275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hep275 Posted 29 Mar 2017 , 6:56pm
post #7 of 7

I tried SMBC a while back because folk seemed to rave about it but I also thought it was like eating butter.  I now just use 'normal' (American) buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%