Mbcs With Carton Egg Whites?

Baking By wntrdove Updated 29 Mar 2017 , 2:50pm by CoCo Cakes

wntrdove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wntrdove Posted 28 Mar 2017 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 2

I've read in a few places (including here) that some use carton egg whites (Just Whites, etc) when making their meringue buttercreams and I've tried it a couple of times with no success. I'd love some input on what I may be doing wrong. I'd love to use the carton because I hate wasting 8-12 yolks every time I make a buttercream.

I've tried it twice, once with an SMBC and once with IMBC. Both times the meringue whipped up as expected. I cooled the mixture to appx 90 degrees (the temp reccommended, if memory serves, by the video on SMBC by Sweetwise). Then as I added the butter the meringue complete collapsed. Now, I know the mixture can/should deflate some when adding the butter. I have make both of these buttercream recipes successfully using whole egg whites. What happens with the eggs whites is more of a liquidification. At this point I usually abandon the buttercream.

Is this what happens when you use the carton egg whites? Do I need to just trust that it's going to whip up and keep adding butter? Any thoughts on what might be happening would be appreicated.

Thank you.

1 reply
CoCo Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoCo Cakes Posted 29 Mar 2017 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 2

I almost exclusively use cartoned egg whites and have rarely had a problem.  I only make SMBC (have never made IMBC) and have also tried several different methods/modifications and all have worked using the cartoned whites (some better than others).  I am unfamiliar with the Sweetwise video you are referencing, but I generally beat my egg whites until the outside of the bowl is no longer warm to the touch and the whites are glossy and white.  I wouldn't say that they liquify when I add the butter--more of a deflation, but I keep whipping and it eventually comes together.  I am not one to strictly adhere to a recipe so sometimes I have added more butter than called for, but more often than not, I end up adding less butter--I go more by taste/feel.  Not sure if this helps or not, but I notice that you had not received an answer to your question.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%