Tan Ombre Cake

Decorating By Jjlllnjm9 Updated 30 Mar 2017 , 4:31pm by suepers

Jjlllnjm9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jjlllnjm9 Posted 28 Mar 2017 , 10:12am
post #1 of 4

I am making a 5 tier tan ombre wedding cake. The bride wants the bottom tier to be the darkest ending with a cream top tier. The bottom tier will be buttercream rosettes but the other tiers will be fondant. I am having trouble getting the tan color I want with the gel colors. They have way too much yellow in them. I tried adding a bit of black and it helped a bit but still too much of a yellow hue. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to fix this? This is for a rustic wedding that is burlap and lace. Thank you in advance for your help.

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Mar 2017 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 4

If I remember right purple/lilac is suppose to conteract yellow.  Have you tried just a tiny touch of it?  Maybe you just need to add a bit more black.  Sorry I have never really tried this but it seem right.  Good luck.

GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 30 Mar 2017 , 8:29am
post #3 of 4

When I make different shades of tan I just add tiny bits of brown to white buttercream til I have the shade I want. I'm not sure if that helps or not. 

suepers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suepers Posted 30 Mar 2017 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 4

I'm not sure about counteracting yellow, but I just did an ivory to champagne ombre and the tips i got said to use juniper green or moss green to counteract the pinkish tone. You could try that and see if it helps you with your yellow. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%