Pudding And Egg Added To Bc Cake Mix Sank In Middle And Smells Eggy

Baking By TurianCatnip Updated 30 Mar 2017 , 1:00am by ElizabethsCakeCreations

TurianCatnip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TurianCatnip Posted 28 Mar 2017 , 5:39am
post #1 of 15

Hi all!

I made a Betty Crocker spice cake with a box of pudding and an extra egg a few weeks back and it was perfect.

Now I need a (don't laugh) coconut cake with no coconut. After reading on here a bunch: I took a box of BC French vanilla, added an extra egg, a small box of instant coconut pudding, a tsp coconut extract, and replaced half the water with coconut coffee creamer. Cake sank before it was done baking, smelled eggy to me and was maybe a bit rubbery upon cooling.

I suppose there is a slight chance I had an 18oz box of spice cake mix and this problem is because my current vanilla mixes are 15oz, but I could swear I'd seen people here do the egg and pudding thing with the smaller new mixes. I have three more 15.25oz BC French Vanilla boxes to experiment with. What should I do? Take 3 oz of mix and add it to what I did last ? Omit the 4th egg? Leave out the creamer? I'm sick and short on energy, but I REALLY want to make a nice cake for a family member's birthday. Please help? 

14 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Mar 2017 , 10:40am
post #2 of 15

adding the additional 3 oz cake mix can't hurt but did you mix it well?

did you put in some oil?

hope it works out ok -- it should

hope you're feeling better 

-K8memphis Posted 28 Mar 2017 , 12:25pm
post #3 of 15

but come to think of it when i've used pudding in a cake -- and not baked it in a bundt pan that has a hole in the middle -- the cake was a similar disaster -- so i never tried to fix it other than to eliminate the pudding -- and to me the coffee creamer is suspect too -- but that's just me --

fwiw i use strawberry jello in my strawberry cake but i nixed the pudding early on --

hey, i know you already have your mixes but there's a coconut cake mix too -- even easier

-K8memphis Posted 28 Mar 2017 , 12:26pm
post #4 of 15

but of course some peeps use pudding all the time -- just not me

TurianCatnip Posted 28 Mar 2017 , 1:46pm
post #5 of 15

Thanks for the reply! I did add the required amount of oil suggested on the box, and I mixed it on medium for two minutes, also per the box. This is one area where I deviated from the previous cake+egg+pudding that came out fine. When I mixed that one, I added the pudding to the wet ingredients, then mixed the hell out of it, then added the cake mix powder and mixed for two minutes on medium, but that resulted in bubbles I had to tap the heck out of the cakes to release before baking, and others seem to mix the pudding powder with the cake mix then add the wet, so that's what I did this time.

(sorry for the long reply-- I'm trying to provide as much detail as possible to help people problem solve)

I may try to find the coconut mix. I was just hoping to make this work because the previous mix+egg+pudding cake I made was fantastic (imho).

Also, should it come up, I do have an oven thermometer and am baking in the gold Calphalon nonstick pans prepped with Crisco, flour and a circle of parchment at 325F for approx 24mins (again per box instructions). 

Thanks again for the help and the well wishes!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 28 Mar 2017 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 15

Sorry, I don't use those ingredients, but given that you did have previous success, I do have a few basic baking suggestions: (1) Using pudding and creamer may be too much for the tolerance of your cake mix. (2) You may have mixed the batter too long. (3) Perhaps use part creamer/part water. And (4) bake at a slightly lower temp for a longer time. Good luck!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Mar 2017 , 12:10am
post #7 of 15

I agree w/MimiFix.......the creamer and pudding probably upset the balance of the mix.  BTW: 4 eggs is probably too much......I bake w/only 2 whole eggs per mix and no oil. 

TurianCatnip Posted 29 Mar 2017 , 3:39am
post #8 of 15

Thanks again to all who have replied! I am hoping to take another crack at this tomorrow.

I can't believe I forgot to mention it, but I used baking strips and I may have left them too wet. I don't know if this would affect the rise quite as negatively as it did, but it wouldn't explain the eggy flavor, so I don't think it's the whole problem (though I won't make that mistake twice).

Based on your input, I think I will first try just leaving out the creamer and see how that goes. If it doesn't turn out as I'd hoped, my next step would probably be going down to 3 eggs. If anyone has any more advice or sees any flaw in my intended plan, please advise! Thank you!

ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 29 Mar 2017 , 4:57am
post #9 of 15

I gotcha covered girl! I use doctored mixes exclusively. Below is the recipe I use I've changed it from 4 egg whites to 3 eggs, no more is needed I use large eggs. For your recipe you can switch some of the sour cream for your coconut creamer, probably 1/2 cup of each. When you're measuring out your water put your tsp or whatever you like of coconut extract and then add the rest water to make it 1/2 cup. 

I'd bet my favourite cake tool this will work for you! And remember don't open the oven until the cake is almost done (minimum 25 minutes for me) opening the oven in the first few minutes will make the cake sink, hence preheating lol

Good luck and tell us how it went!

Durable Cake for 3D and Wedding Cakes

Ingredients vanilla cake = 4 cups

1 cake mix (change as needed)

3 eggs

1/2 cup water

1 small pkg of instant pudding mix (change as needed)

1/3 cup vegetable oil

1 cup sour cream

Instructions

1.Preheat oven to 350

2.Incorporate all ingredients together one by one on low speed.

3.Make sure to mix thoroughly between each ingredient.

4.Once all ingredients are mixed turn mixer to medium and mix for approximately 2 minutes.

5.Bake at 350 for 30 – 35 minutes

Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/1972/durable-cake-for-3d-and-wedding-cakes#t67bHMgc5i0ombap.99

TurianCatnip Posted 29 Mar 2017 , 5:53am
post #10 of 15

All I have on hand is light sour cream (reduced fat, but NOT non-fat)--would half that and half coffee creamer work? The creamer has a bit less fat than even the light sour cream, and since both are lighter than full fat sour cream, do I just need an extra Tbsp of oil or so? (Your recipe calls for 1/3c oil, I was using 1/2c in both my cake attempts). 

i am twitchy about the sour cream, since it's adding in another unknown/dairy product and last year I did a box mix with butter and milk in place of the oil and water and it was a crumbly mess.

thanks again!

ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 29 Mar 2017 , 6:28am
post #11 of 15

Your suggestions sound good to me. Your problem wasn't the milk it was the butter, doesn't work the same as oil.  A lot of the cake mixes even say water or milk.

-K8memphis Posted 29 Mar 2017 , 1:06pm
post #12 of 15

if you make a crater in the sour cream and let it set overnight -- that is dig a hole in the sour cream so it fills up with the water -- so the water separates out --  pour off the water and you can avoid that extra liquid and get the thicker sour cream -- even if it's light sc

TurianCatnip Posted 29 Mar 2017 , 3:22pm
post #13 of 15

Just out of the oven they look and smell lovely! Followed the recipe here,

subbing:

1 tsp of coconut extract and 1/2 tsp of vanilla for water

1 Tbsp oil and 1/2c Coconut Creme coffee creamer for the sour cream, since I was using low fat

i also may have set my over hotter. I was using the thermometer I have inside the oven last time, and watched for 325. This time, knowing my oven is usually 25 degrees hot, I just set it for 325 (350ish per the thermometer inside). Didn't do much as step foot in the kitchen until I checked them at 24 min. They are probably more a coconut-scented vanilla, but I'm okay with that (the buttercream has okay coconut flavor, so that'll do).

YOU ARE AMAZING! Thanks to you ALL! If it weren't for you wonderful CakeCentral forum peeps, I literally wouldn't bake cakes.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Mar 2017 , 4:52pm
post #14 of 15

Glad to hear you finally found success:)  The fact that you use what might have been overly wet strips should have nothing to do w/the problem.

I hope that next time you want to make a cake you will try this recipe.  It is used/known all over the world and is truly loved by sooo many:   http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 30 Mar 2017 , 1:00am
post #15 of 15

yay! tell us how it tastes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%