Cake Tin Size For Two Tier Cake

Baking By Shellheidi Updated 29 Mar 2017 , 12:25am by kakeladi

Shellheidi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shellheidi Posted 28 Mar 2017 , 2:43am
post #1 of 4

I've been asked to make this cake but she wants just the bottom two tiers and to serve 60 people.She wants the tiers to not be very tall. Would a 12" tin for the bottom tier be ok and a 9" on top? It'll probably have more than 60 serves but at least the tiers won't be too high. Would that be 4" or 3" high?Cake Tin Size For Two Tier Cake

3 replies
Sprinkleboxcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sprinkleboxcakes Posted 28 Mar 2017 , 4:45am
post #2 of 4

Hi,

A 12+9 inch pan will give you roughly 88 wedding serves, which is quite a lot extra given some people may not eat the cake either.

With regards to height of the cake, it depends how thick you're going to make the inside layers. I personally use a leveler to ensure each layer of cake is even and I tend to make them an inch thick. By the time you put your filling and coating they get much taller. I would opt for 3 layers inside or even 2 thick layers sandwiched together, to avoid a very tall cake.

If you have 3 inch of cake, plus filling, it will be around 4 inches tall once finished.

Shellheidi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shellheidi Posted 28 Mar 2017 , 5:01am
post #3 of 4

Thanks for your reply! Do you suggest just using an 8" + 10"? 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Mar 2017 , 12:25am
post #4 of 4

If they are serving the top tier, then yes, a 10 & 8 would be just fine for your # of servins needed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%