How Do I Make My Chocolate Frosting More A Tan Color Than Dark Brown?

Decorating By Bekah66 Updated 29 Mar 2017 , 3:37pm by Bekah66

Bekah66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bekah66 Posted 28 Mar 2017 , 12:05am
post #1 of 8

I have just taken an order for chocolate cupcakes.  Clients have had my chocolate cake and frosting before.  They loved both the frosting and the cake, however, they are ordering 350 cupcakes 1/2 white with pink frosting and 1/2 chocolate with chocolate frosting.  (wedding colors).  However, client asked if I could make the same chocolate frosting but  make it more tan than brown.  Any suggestions?  Thank you!

7 replies
Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 28 Mar 2017 , 11:52am
post #2 of 8

If you are not adding brown coloring, then I'd say likely not and still maintain the flavor of your icing.  If the brown color comes from the amount of chocolate/cocoa in your recipe, then there's little you could do other than use less.  Sometime whipping and icing for a while will somewhat lighten the color, but not sure that would be dramatic enough.

Are the cupcakes filled?  You could fill them with your icing, the pipe a more than color on top.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 28 Mar 2017 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 8

Some people are allergic to peanut butter but I add peanut butter to my regular buttercream frosting which makes it a tan color. It is so good on top of chocolate cake!!! Everyone I have made it for just can't seem to get enough of it.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 28 Mar 2017 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 8

Or use part white "chocolate" to keep the flavor profile.  

Bekah66 Posted 29 Mar 2017 , 2:53am
post #5 of 8

Thanks for all the ideas!

ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 29 Mar 2017 , 5:10am
post #6 of 8

I use my regular buttercream recipe and melt a milk chocolate bar or 2 and it's light and colour and tastes amazing

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 29 Mar 2017 , 3:12pm
post #7 of 8

If you use SMBC and add melted chocolate, it will taste great very chocolately, but have a much lighter brown color than the Hersheys type chocolate ABC.   if you go light with the chocolate, you could get a much lighter color, although with less intense flavor of course. I think chocolate SMBC tastes so much better than Chocolate ABC - rich and creamy.  Add a little Godiva liqueur , maybe even a little instant espresso dissolved in just a small amount of hot water and cooled  for an over the top buttercream with a much lighter brown color.  HTH

this photo is  chocolate SMBC

How Do I Make My Chocolate Frosting More A Tan Color Than Dark Brown?

Bekah66 Posted 29 Mar 2017 , 3:37pm
post #8 of 8

Excellent!  I will try that!  Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%