12" Baking Pan, Do's And Don'ts!

Baking By roddles Updated 16 May 2017 , 2:03am by roddles

roddles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roddles Posted 25 Mar 2017 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 8

I have never baked a layer larger than 9".  I am baking a three layer cake using a 12" pan.  I was told I need to use a heat conductor in the middle of the pan in order for it to bake correctly.  First, what would that be and where do I find that?  Also, Is it necessary or will I have trouble with doneness?  How long does a 12" bake usually?  Do I need to put dowels in the middle to hold the three layers together without shifting?  I have a four hour drive that day.  

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Mar 2017 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 8

........was told I need to use a heat conductor in the middle of the pan in order for it to bake correctly.....is it necessary.......how long does  it take........do I need dowels in the middle to hold the 3 layers together?

O.K.......1st in over 30 yrs of baking I have NOT used a heat conductor and my cakes bake up just fine.  It's hard to say exactly how long it will take.....because ovens differ greatly.   I prefer to bake at 300 degrees F for about 20-25 minutes, then turn the oven up to 325 for about the same amount of time. I do not rely on a clock...... I judge how close to 'done' my cake is by using my nose:)   When you can smell that wonderful odor in the next room it's time to check it.  I feel if the cake has pulled away from the sides of the pan it is *over done*.  It take time to develope a knowledge of when it is done w/o being overdone.  Do check it about the clock time it should be done by lightly touching it near the middle.  If the cake springs back even just a little it is done.   Another way to ck for doneness is w/a toothpick.......insert near the middle, if it comes out clean (or just a crumb or two) the cake is done.   Remove from oven to rack for about 10 minutes then turn out of pan, and put the pan over the cake (basically returning it to the pan) to cool well.   The reason for placing the pan over it is to hold in all that steam, holding in moisture. 

As for using dowels.....is the cake going to be one 3 layer cake?  That would make it about 6" tall?  For the amount of time the trip is it wouldn't hurt to use a dowel thru the center but many people rely heavily on that holding the layers together.  Again, in 30+ yrs I have had only a couple of mishaps of cakes sliding apart and seldom used a dowel that way.   What helps more is keeping the finished cake cool (in your case fzn would be great) and driving 'like a little old lady'  not like a speed demon/racer.  Don't take sharp turns etc.  Box the finished cake and freeze it and you should be fine.  Hope this helps you out. 

roddles Posted 28 Mar 2017 , 12:27am
post #3 of 8

Thank you for responding and you have helped me considerably.  I am trying to attempt a three layer cake for a wedding shower.  Never made a cake for an affair other than my own.  My plan is to make three layers.  Using cannoli cream in the middle.  Since this cake is a fondant cake, I will have to use a buttercream, preferably a swiss buttercream and then layer the fondant on top of that.  Then I have the white dress on top of the teal. It will be a challenge, but I will try.  

Because of the cannoli filling, of course, I am concerned about the traveling time.  Three hours in the car!  I will keep it refrigerated before we leave and hope for the best.  Any pointers would be appreciated.  Many thanks.PastedGraphic-4-1.tiff

roddles Posted 28 Mar 2017 , 12:27am
post #4 of 8

Thank you for responding and you have helped me considerably.  I am trying to attempt a three layer cake for a wedding shower.  Never made a cake for an affair other than my own.  My plan is to make three layers.  Using cannoli cream in the middle.  Since this cake is a fondant cake, I will have to use a buttercream, preferably a swiss buttercream and then layer the fondant on top of that.  Then I have the white dress on top of the teal. It will be a challenge, but I will try.  

Because of the cannoli filling, of course, I am concerned about the traveling time.  Three hours in the car!  I will keep it refrigerated before we leave and hope for the best.  Any pointers would be appreciated.  Many thanks.PastedGraphic-4-1.tiff

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Mar 2017 , 11:56pm
post #5 of 8

Get a box 14" or 16" cake box to put the cake in then a larger one - like a moving box.  Surround the cake box w/freezer packs - fzn blocks of ice for your trip.   It should be just fine, expecially if you start w/it frozen.   That's a beautiful cake :)  Since it's a 12" cake and you want to decorate the board you should use a 16" cakeboard.  I suggest you use 2 cakeboards glued together w/the corrugations running opposit of each other (sort of +).   This also means you probably should get a moving box as your bigger one to hold the ice packs.   The fondant should hold the 3 layers together w/o a problem, but if you want an added bit of security, place a dowel thru the layers hiding it where the roses go on the dress.   I bet you will do just fine:)  When is this cake due? 

roddles Posted 16 May 2017 , 1:38am
post #6 of 8

Hi Kakeladi,

Thank you so much for all your help.  The cake was a success.  Baked perfectly.  I froze the cake after I decorated because I did it a few days before needed.  Just took a gamble and it worked beautifully!  I took the cake out of the freezer the day before and put in the fridge.  Then the next day at 9 am we loaded up the car.  Did nothing special about refrigeration (because I was concerned about the cannoli filling)and drove three hours.  Then, of course, the cake had to sit there for a few hours before serving.  Cut it around 4 pm and it was just perfect.  Rave reviews.  And delicious.  I will forever use Gretchen's Bakery Chocolate cake with buttermilk and the cannoli filling I bought from Restaurants Depot pre-frozen.  You never could tell and it was better than a bakery!  I will try and send a photo of the cake I did.  I'm so proud of myself as I never attempted anything like this before.  I copied from someone on the internet and just did it!

roddles Posted 16 May 2017 , 2:02am
post #7 of 8

12" Baking Pan, Do's And Don'ts!12" Baking Pan, Do's And Don'ts!12" Baking Pan, Do's And Don'ts!

roddles Posted 16 May 2017 , 2:02am
post #8 of 8

12" Baking Pan, Do's And Don'ts!12" Baking Pan, Do's And Don'ts!12" Baking Pan, Do's And Don'ts!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%