Realistic Cake Head!!

Decorating By Rheaadrienne Updated 24 Mar 2017 , 5:25pm by Rheaadrienne

Rheaadrienne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rheaadrienne Posted 23 Mar 2017 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 6

Hello!! I've given myself a little project and have decided to give more realistic cake decorating a go! I want to make a female head (something recognisable like Marilyn Monroe or amy winehouse) and I have bought a polestyrine dummy to practice on but just wondering if anyone has any advice as there is not much on the internet! I have my airbrush machine at the ready but wondering the best way to get the hair more realistic and also to use either fondant or modelling chocolate (I've seen a lot of people saying about this but don't know whether this is more widely used in America as I am U.K. Based!) any who any advice would be greatly appreciated!! XxxRealistic Cake Head!!

5 replies
640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 23 Mar 2017 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 6

I have no advice, but wanted to say that your bust looks fantastic!  I personally prefer modeling chocolate over fondant as I find it easier to blend (seams and such) and tastes better as well.  I am in the US.

Rheaadrienne Posted 23 Mar 2017 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 6

Unfortunately can't take credit for that cake as it was an example of what I want to make! Made by the talented sideserf cakes!! Would I need to buy white chocolate modelling paste then? Is white chocolate flavoured fondant the same thing or not?? Thank you x

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 24 Mar 2017 , 12:41pm
post #4 of 6

I just discovered her recently, so not familiar with all of her work.  It is a great Saul :)

Fondant and modelling chocolate behave differently to me.  Fondant has more elasticity than MC, so it's easier to roll out and cover cakes, make 2D decorations and such.  MC is easier for sculpting...easier to smooth, buff out seams, and mold.  For anything 3D, I use MC...well, I guess technically, I use candy clay as I usually use candy melts, so I don't have to color it myself.  Some refer to MC when you use actual chocolate and candy clay when using the candy melts.  I just lump it all together as MC.

White chocolate fondant would be different than the modelling paste..if this is what you are referring to when you say modelling paste.  That recipe would be great for sculpting.  In order to color it, you can add a gel color to the syrup before mixing it into the chocolate.  To color it after making it, you would need a powder or oil-based color as gel will not work in chocolate (only in the syrup before mixing it in). 

SSMCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SSMCakes Posted 24 Mar 2017 , 4:05pm
post #5 of 6

Hi, I'm hoping to start doing the same as you though starting off with smaller projects like making cakes look like realistic food but I do want to start doing / practicing modeling work.  

I may be wrong, but I'm thinking of it a bit like bas relief with the modelling chocolate ( I think that modelling chocolate might better to sculpt and mould things like 640Cake said, as for chocolate fondant I think it's just fondant with a chocolate flavoring and works the same as normal fondant - but I may be wrong!)

I think people usually mould the cake out of modelling chocolate and then to get features that are more prominent they would do a bas relief effect. Say for the eyes they may add on more chocolate so it stands out, smooth it down and work with it and then they would cover it in sugarpaste afterwards and add more detail onto the face afterwards but the foundations of the face (eyes, lips, nose etc)would already be there. 

Hope that made sense!! Sorry if it didn't!

Rheaadrienne Posted 24 Mar 2017 , 5:25pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you so much! That has helped me a lot! Will have a look into all this and set a day when I am not busy to start on this project!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%