Trying To Become A Cake Decorator At Walmart, Does Anyone Else Have Experience With This?

Decorating By hopefulcakelady Updated 28 Mar 2017 , 2:03am by hopefulcakelady

hopefulcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hopefulcakelady Posted 22 Mar 2017 , 11:41pm
post #1 of 11

I am currently working as a cashier at a Walmart but have put in for a transfer to cake decorator at a supercenter.

I have never decorated cakes before but it appeals to me on many levels. I just wonder if I will be a burden/annoyance to the more experience decorators working there and whether there's anything I can do to prevent that problem. I've been watching many tutorials on youtube, but I know hands on experience is the true teacher. I know it's Walmart, so nobody expects high level skill, but I was inspired by a woman on reddit who is a master cake decorator to try and decorate cakes for a living.

I'm wondering if anyone here works for Walmart (or ever has) and can provide some insight...or anyone who wants to chime in with their thoughts. I'm new here, obviously.

10 replies
aldonza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aldonza Posted 23 Mar 2017 , 3:31am
post #2 of 11

Are there any places near you that offer cake decorating classes? The Wilton course provides a great foundation andI think you would enjoy it.

hopefulcakelady Posted 23 Mar 2017 , 7:46am
post #3 of 11

I just don't have money for the course right now. It's my understanding that I can be trained on the job. I want to take a class at some point.

I have watched many many cake decorating videos though, so I have some idea. I know that doesn't replace the hands on aspect but it's better than having no clue.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Mar 2017 , 8:02pm
post #4 of 11

Many times places like supermarkets do not want someone who has experience.  They want to teach you their way of doing things.   Have you talked to anyone in the dept to know what is expeceted? 

hopefulcakelady Posted 24 Mar 2017 , 5:15am
post #5 of 11

I haven't talked to anyone at the store yet. I'm hoping to go in in a few days and see if they're willing to make the position available.

A woman on reddit did an Ask Me Anything where she said she had no experience when she began, and I found her portfolio truly inspiring; it's part of the reason I'm here, along with the desire to just do something different.

I think cake decorating is a transferable skill that you can use in many places--bakeries, grocery stores, and other places--and I've decided that maybe even if I get another job in the future, I'll always decorate cakes part time because it appeals to me. But I kinda need to get a foot in the door. My plan would be to work for Walmart for 6 months then use that experience to get another cake decorating job somewhere a bit better.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Mar 2017 , 7:07pm
post #6 of 11

Just be aware that working someplace like WalMart or a supermarket could quickly squelch you enthusium.  Depends a lot on how hard they work you.....what the mgr is like. 

hopefulcakelady Posted 26 Mar 2017 , 4:08am
post #7 of 11

haha, luckily I'm a seasoned Walmart veteran. This will seem like heaven compared to working the front end there which has been a nightmare. I feel good that I'm finally getting some direction in my life and finding something I'm truly passionate about. I also live in MA, so the minimum wage being $11 helps too.

hopefulcakelady Posted 26 Mar 2017 , 4:08am
post #8 of 11

oh, btw, didn't mean to steal your username! haha...I just realized.

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 26 Mar 2017 , 4:43am
post #9 of 11

I think this is the link to the reddit AMA @hopefulcakelady ‍ mentioned in case any one else was interested in taking a look

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMA/comments/3jjrjl/i_am_a_cake_decorator_at_walmart_ama/

Best of of luck hopefulcakelady!  I hope you get the job, and I also hope to see some of your work posted on the CC gallery soon!

yellowdog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellowdog Posted 26 Mar 2017 , 10:36am
post #10 of 11

It's funny that I came across your post today.  I have been working at WalMart for 3 years as an overnight stocker (in VA) and have been asked to be the cake decorator.  They have been asking for two weeks now and I have until Monday to decide.  I don't have commercial baking experience either.  I took a Wilton course years ago but I do decorate and sometimes sell my cakes.  Everyone thinks that I would be great at the job. They have seen my work.  I too am worried about my performance since I deal mainly with fondant and carved cakes.  Managers tell me that it won't be a difficult task.  The buttercream is of medium to stiff consistency and I would get used to doing the buttercream roses again.  Most of the cakes are made up from a kit.  Customer looks in the book and picks a design and you ice the cake and place the plastic characters on the cakes per kit directions.  Most of the cakes would be flowers and an added sentiment i.e. Happy Birthday, Congratulations, etc.

Others tell me that I would lose my love of caking because I wouldn't have any creativity.  I'm accepting the position because it's day shift and after 3 years on 3rd shift I'm ready for a change.  I don't know if any of this helps you; but WalMart doesn't require that you have experience.  Just a desire to learn and work.  I think that if you can get the position; you would benefit from the experience.  And be able to save enough money to take a Wilton course or at least buy the course books at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. Good Luck and welcome to the often frustrating world of caking.

hopefulcakelady Posted 28 Mar 2017 , 2:03am
post #11 of 11

Do it! Doooo it! I don't think you'd lose your love of it. I work pretty well under pressure, but cashiering is just killing my soul. Making beautiful cakes and getting paid to do so would really lift my spirits.

Thanks. I think the woman who posted her portfolio on the AMA that Jackie linked was allowed to have some leeway and creativity in her designs. I looked at what she did and I can't imagine a layperson knowing how to describe something that well. I think they gave her a general sense of what they wanted and she kinda ran with it. So I think there is sometimes room for creativity.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%