Writing On A Cake

Decorating By KizziK Updated 24 Mar 2017 , 4:32pm by KizziK

KizziK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KizziK Posted 22 Mar 2017 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 7

I'm being ambitious and making my own wedding cake (eek!) We are trying to include references to both our hobbies and interests on the cake. My fiance is a software developer and so I want to add a few lines of 'code' on one side of the bottom tier. 

The problem is, I'm really bad at piping writing on the flat top of a cake let alone the sides! 

Is there a lonely easy solution for this or am I just going to have to keep practicing? I don't think it'll be tall enough to use cutters for each letter (unless I can get very small cutters!) 

I really appreciate any help and advice! 

6 replies
remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 23 Mar 2017 , 7:20am
post #2 of 7

I trace the writing with a toothpick then just pipe over it.  I have never done fondant but only buttercream and it is super easy to use toothpick. If doing fondant instead then hopefully others here will be able to explain what they do to make it easier for piping writing. 

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 23 Mar 2017 , 3:03pm
post #3 of 7

You could write it on rice/wafer paper and then attach it to the cake.  Or get an edible image made.  Best option, IMO, would be an edible image of the code on wafer paper - nice type/font and on a thin edible paper.

crnewbold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crnewbold Posted 23 Mar 2017 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 7

Ditto on the edible image.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Mar 2017 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 7

The edible image/wafer paper is probably your best bet.

As for writing on the tops of cake - if you problem is getting the whole line to be straight, try laying down a piece of thread or string to help guide you.

Nana52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nana52 Posted 24 Mar 2017 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 7

Ditto to the rice/wafer paper.  It is semi-transparent so you can see through it to trace onto it whatever you want (use edible ink writing pens).  If you stick the wafer paper to buttercream and then refrigerate the cake, you may get wrinkles.  I usually stick the wafer paper to a same-size piece of fondant and attach the fondant to the cake as late as I can.  

KizziK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KizziK Posted 24 Mar 2017 , 4:32pm
post #7 of 7

I hadn't thought about using rice paper! Thanks everyone. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%