Melted Sugar Flowers

Decorating By MonicaAmerssonis Updated 24 Mar 2017 , 7:10pm by kakeladi

MonicaAmerssonis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MonicaAmerssonis Posted 22 Mar 2017 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 6

im having trouble with my sugar flowers, please help me!! Everytime it rains my flowers starts to melt.. idk what to do. Im afraid to deliver a cake on a rainy day and having my flowers completely melted!! Is there anything i can do???

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Mar 2017 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 6

From what  you say I have to think you are making your flowers with gumpaste.  That is a problem we all have w/gp:(   Maybe increase the amount of Tylose powder you are using to make them drier might help some but it's the nature of the ingredients that is causing the problem.  Try keeping them in an airtight container until the very last minute.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 23 Mar 2017 , 7:32am
post #3 of 6

That is why I make buttercream flowers. It is amazing the many different flowers you can make with piping tips. Then I freeze them long enough to get hard then put them on the cake.  I love the look of the gum paste flowers but they do not taste good at all and the problem you have above can be a pain. You tube has so many videos showing which tips to use, how to hold them and how to pipe many different buttercream flowers. The learning is endless on youtube. Like Kakeladi said you can add extra Tylose powder and see how it goes. 

kakeladi Posted 23 Mar 2017 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 6

I worked mainly (for the 1st 20+ yrs of my decorating career) in b'cream.   I made air-dried b'cream flowers.  They can be made ahead - up to a month or so, to be used as you need.  Saves time making flowers during your 'down time' - give you something to do and then it's a breeze to throw together a last-minute order :)  Just pipe, set aside to dry for 24 to 48 hours, then store in cardboard boxes.  NO freezing or refrigeration needed!  You DO NOT want to store them air-tight (but I lived in a dry desert area). 

Dacakechic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dacakechic Posted 24 Mar 2017 , 12:35am
post #5 of 6

@kakeladi ‍ I am intrigued by your dried buttercream flowers. 

How long can they keep in a cardboard box?

And...are they still edible?

kakeladi Posted 24 Mar 2017 , 7:10pm
post #6 of 6

They can be kept for about 2-3 months depending of course that no critters (ants etc) or humidity invade.  I lined a gift box w/a couple paper towels.  Eventually they sort of turn to dust and/or get a funky taste. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%