Help With Fruit Cake Height Issue

Baking By kelbel8888 Updated 24 Mar 2017 , 1:54am by SquirrellyCakes

kelbel8888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelbel8888 Posted 22 Mar 2017 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 2

Hi all

Today I have made my first first fruit cake! its for a friends wedding cake as a top tier but I have a problem!

I made the cake in a 6" tin that is 3 " deep. The problem is the cake has no where near risen enough to fill the 3", I was planning to fill any height gaps with marzipan, but this is to much to fill..

any advice on this as really on a time pressure to get this fruit cake baked. I'm unsure on making another to use to cut in half and to the top- worried how this will look sandhwiched.

or should I bake another but increase the recipe quantity so I nearly fill the tin?

any advice greatly received please!

1 reply
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 24 Mar 2017 , 1:54am
post #2 of 2

Hi there.

How high is the layer that you already baked? Would it work out if you baked another layer with the same amount of batter?

You are going to want both layers to be the same height otherwise it won't look professional.

I think that if you fill the pan with enough batter to get one 3 inch layer, you may end up with problems baking it. Traditional fruit cakes don't rise much if at all, due to the heaviness of the fruit and nuts. Additionally, to bake a three inch high cake, your cake may end up dry due to the length of time it takes to cook. You may wish to put a pan of water in your oven as your cake bakes.

Hope that helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%