Does This Recipe Require Refrigeration?

Baking By tsal Updated 6 days ago by tsal

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 6 days ago
post #1 of 5

Hi,

I'm new to crusting Buttercream as I could never find one that was smooth and not too sweet but I finally did!!

i'm just wondering if it needs to be refrigerated? Here are the ingredients:

1 cup salted butter

4 cups icing sugar

4 tbsp 15% cream

is the sugar content high enough to render it shelf stable, or should I refrigerate?

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 days ago
post #2 of 5

It is shelf stable.     BTW:  *any* b'cream recipe can be made to crust.   It's the ratio of 'fat' to sugar that causes crusting.   The *less* fat used the more it will crust.    Your recipe has NO flavoring :(   I suggest adding 1 & 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring and 1/4 teaspoon almond for a much better tasting icing.

tsal Posted 6 days ago
post #3 of 5

Sorry - didn't write in the Vanilla! It has 3 tsp of vanilla extract. Just delicious.

I'm an SMBC girl so I'm most comfortable with non-crusting Buttercream but was determined to find one that I liked!

thanks for the response. I am relieved that I can leave it out of the fridge. For up to three days, I imagine? How long can it be left out at room temp?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 days ago
post #4 of 5

I wouldn't push it much beyone that.   Of course, it depends on what temp you keep your  home - what your 'room temp' is.  Anything under 75 degrees F should be o.k. for 3 or 4 days.

tsal Posted 6 days ago
post #5 of 5

Thanks! I'm only planning on two days, but there may be leftovers!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%