Pan Release And Dry Cakes

Baking By Breveli Ent Updated 21 Mar 2017 , 4:59pm by Breveli Ent

Breveli Ent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Breveli Ent Posted 20 Mar 2017 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 7

Happy Monday!

I made pan release for the first time this weekend and used it when I baked a Hershey's Perfect Chocolate cake in two 9x13 pans with flower nails. The cake was sooooo dry! What did I do wrong? Did I use too much?

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Mar 2017 , 5:43pm
post #2 of 7

I don't think pan release would have any impact on the cake being dry.  That's pretty much always a result of overbaking.   Especially if you're using a recipe like that one.

Breveli Ent Posted 20 Mar 2017 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you so much Leah! I'm a newbie and I often wonder about over baking in larger pans. I'll give it another try in a few days :)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Mar 2017 , 7:22pm
post #4 of 7

Definitely what Leah said.   It's also possible your oven was too hot causing the cake to overbake.

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 20 Mar 2017 , 10:37pm
post #5 of 7

I'm sorry this happened to you. I agree with the others about overtaking and/or a too-hot oven.

What I do when I bake is start checking the cakes about 10-15 minutes before they should be done. This way I can get them out when they are just done.

After some practice, it'll be like second nature for you.

Happy Baking!!! (((Hugs)))

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 21 Mar 2017 , 12:14am
post #6 of 7

Buy yourself an oven temperature gage from the area in store that sells baking stuff. Put in oven and once oven is at cooking temperature look at gage and see if your oven is off. I used to have an oven years ago that cooked 25 degrees too hot and that is how I found out by buying temp gage. After that I just turned down my oven by 25 degrees and had no more problems.

Breveli Ent Posted 21 Mar 2017 , 4:59pm
post #7 of 7

You all have been so kind! Thank you! I'll get myself an oven temp gauge and pay closer attention to the cakes to see what the perfect timing really is.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%