Chocolate Ganache On Buttercream Fail - Help!!

Decorating By LJ321 Updated 20 Mar 2017 , 6:35pm by LJ321

LJ321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LJ321 Posted 19 Mar 2017 , 11:17pm
post #1 of 3

So I decided to make a neapolitan cake with dark chocolate ganache. I had a little trouble making a runny ganache and ended up having to add more hot cream as I was mixing to make sure the ganache was runny enough. I was happy with the consistency and poured it over. About half an hour later I noticed there was a clear liquid pooling below the each chocolate drip, and a couple of hours later the liquid had run down the rest of the cake. I had chilled my cake before dripping the ganache. Can anyone suggest anything to try to avoid this clear liquid - I'm not sure what it was or why it formed on my cake! Any reasons or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 

2 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Mar 2017 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 3

So let me see if I understand what you're saying.  You had a chilled cake.  You poured warm/hot ganache on it.

LJ321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LJ321 Posted 20 Mar 2017 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 3

Hi leah_s, the ganache wasn't warm when I poured it, I did let it cool. I tested it by drizzling some on my finger and it didn't feel warm so I guessed that was cool enough? Should I have chilled the ganache? I thought the colder it gets it would be more difficult to spread? 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%