My Gold Luster Dust Eureka Moment

Decorating By kstevens Updated 7 Apr 2017 , 2:10pm by kstevens

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 19 Mar 2017 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 10

To date I have tried out a few different gold lusts and have never been totally satisfied with the results.  I always found them to be too yellow looking.  I've seen work by others and always wish my gold looked as good as they were able to achieve.  I even inquired as to which product they were using hoping to get my hands on it. 

This past week I finally figured it out and so thought I would share just in case someone else out there is having the same problem with their gold looking too yellow (or maybe I'm the only one who has this issue?)

Previously I had been using yellow fondant under the gold luster dust but this time I had some brown nearby and figured "why not?".  Eureka! It worked!  What a difference it made!  The ball on the left is made using brown fondant and the one on the right with yellow for comparison purposes.

Hope this helps someone else :-) 

Kelly

9 replies
kstevens Posted 19 Mar 2017 , 9:37pm
post #2 of 10

My Gold Luster Dust Eureka MomentY

Nana52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nana52 Posted 19 Mar 2017 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 10

Don't you just love those 'aha' moments?  I'm doing a cake with gold-edged roses and gold leaves for this coming weekend.  The roses are already done, but  I'm going to try a light brown fondant background for the leaves.  Thanks for the hint. 

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 19 Mar 2017 , 10:25pm
post #4 of 10

Isn't funny how using yellow fondant has been the go to!! But using the slightly darker colour does make perfect sense. And you proved it. Smart girl!! It's one of those...why didn't I think of this before kinda moments.  Thanks for posting.

kstevens Posted 19 Mar 2017 , 11:47pm
post #5 of 10

@Nana52 ‍ and @jchuck ‍ glad I could be of help.  Here are the two colors of fondant that I used (I included my hand to hopefully be a reference for the shade of brown):

My Gold Luster Dust Eureka Moment

inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 20 Mar 2017 , 12:57am
post #6 of 10

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Mar 2017 , 12:30pm
post #7 of 10

brilliant

kstevens Posted 6 Apr 2017 , 12:31am
post #8 of 10

Glad some of you found this useful :-) 

inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 6 Apr 2017 , 12:42am
post #9 of 10

I actually used it yesterday, but with royal icing. It kept looking too yellow, so I thought of you and added a touch of brown. Viola! Thanks so much!kissing_heart

kstevens Posted 7 Apr 2017 , 2:10pm
post #10 of 10

@inthekitchen2 ‍ glad it translated well to royal icing as well :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%