How To Preserve Fondant Cake In Hot Weather

Decorating By Yenipenny Updated 22 Mar 2017 , 12:04am by Yenipenny

Yenipenny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yenipenny Posted 18 Mar 2017 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 6

Hi. I am making a first time wedding cake with fondant and I am a ltitle nervous because the cake is for the end of July which the weather could be hot or very humid here in Canada. I will have to deliver the cake the night before and the venue have a friedge with a fan. I need help. ...how Can the cake be stored safely in that friedge and how long in advance should the cake be taking out before it is displayed for the wedding guess... thank you for your tips. .

5 replies
ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 21 Mar 2017 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 6

Is the venue going to be air conditioned?  I live in a very hot climate in the summer but I keep my fondant cakes inside my house with air conditioning with no problem.  If the venue has air conditioning then there should not be any problem.  If the cake is going to be displayed outside then I would say it would probably only last 1 hour before it starts melting.

Morgan8304 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Morgan8304 Posted 21 Mar 2017 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 6

Ok so I don't have a ton of experience but I do know this.

If you plan on painting any details using food coloring and a food safe primer such as lemon juice or other, DO NOT PUT IT IN A WALK IN REFRIGERATION UNIT WITH A FAN!

if you are not going to paint it then you might be fine to put it in there but this is what happened to me.

I made my very first Specialty Cake using fondant for the first time to make a sea turtle for my sister's 40th birthday and after more than a week of working on it my friend that was guiding me  to let warned me not to put it in the refrigerator but because the frosting  my sister requested was whipped milk based it had to be refrigerated.

This was the before...How To Preserve Fondant Cake In Hot Weather

This was the after!!!

How To Preserve Fondant Cake In Hot WeatherHow To Preserve Fondant Cake In Hot Weather

Morgan8304 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Morgan8304 Posted 21 Mar 2017 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 6

However my friend that said "Don't put it in the fridge!" Did say that if you have to DON'T touch it for at lest 1 1/2- 2 hours  at lest. Because you need to wait for the condensation that will occurs from the temperature change to completely dry before you touch it.

However we did not realized how humid a walk-in refrigeration unit would be and that caused condensation to occur in the refrigeration unit and the fan that was in there was blowing on a paint job making it run and smear! So I wouldn't do it if you can avoid it!

Yenipenny Posted 22 Mar 2017 , 12:02am
post #5 of 6

Thank you Morgan for your helpful tips. BTW The cake was a beautiful piece of art. So sorry to hear what happened.

Yenipenny Posted 22 Mar 2017 , 12:04am
post #6 of 6

Quote by @ropalma on 6 hours ago

Is the venue going to be air conditioned?  I live in a very hot climate in the summer but I keep my fondant cakes inside my house with air conditioning with no problem.  If the venue has air conditioning then there should not be any problem.  If the cake is going to be displayed outside then I would say it would probably only last 1 hour before it starts melting.

Thank you Ropalma for your tips

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%