How Do I Store A Box Mix Cake Decorated With Store Frosting?

Decorating By luvbn_mrs_coates Updated 22 Mar 2017 , 12:02am by luvbn_mrs_coates

luvbn_mrs_coates Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbn_mrs_coates Posted 17 Mar 2017 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 9

I'm new to the business.  I've always made cakes same day.  It was more feasible for me to make this cake Thursday for a Saturday party.  I used Pillsbury moist yellow cake mix and Pillsbury white can frosting.  I've seen conflicting storage info on the web.  Now I'm terrified this cake is going to be dry.  It's currently on a board in a Rubbermaid box at room temperature.  Did I do right?

8 replies
remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 17 Mar 2017 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 9

Big difference between homemade frosting and frosting in a can and a big difference in the taste. I am not in cake business but when I make person a cake I give it to them the first day I make it. Also, when I make for myself I put it under glass cake plate and have had them last at least 3 days but start eating on it on the day it is made. I also put saran wrap on part that has been cut which makes it stay fresh since frosting is no longer covering the cut piece from cake. I hear the box cake mixes taste very good but since they have been constantly changing to less ingredients in boxes I make from scratch now.

You may want to invest in cardboard cake boxes to put the cakes in and a stand mixer to make homemade frosting. Normally, frosting keeps the cake fresh when it is frosted for at least 2-3 days as long as it has no fruit in it. If fruit then it needs to be refrigerated.  Maybe someone here who is in cake business can better answer your question. Good luck. 

luvbn_mrs_coates Posted 17 Mar 2017 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 9

I plan on transferring it to a cake box for delivery.  The Rubbermaid box was solely to keep it fresh.  I read in one forum where those were recommended instead of fancy cake and cupcake domes.  I do have a stand mixer and do plan to eventually make things from scratch.  In this instance my friend was totally cool with box cake and frosting.  I just want to make sure that I've stored it right.  I can't be the only person who uses boxed mix and can frosting.

Anybody?  Beuller?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Mar 2017 , 10:05pm
post #4 of 9

I don't use boxed mixes, but a lot of people do.  I don't think many people use canned frosting.  Frosting is soooooo easy to make and tastes better.  Also the canned frosting (I've been told) is very soft and actually harder to use.  Now when I worked at the bakery, we got the large buckets of commercial But-R-Cream in and used that.  A lot of commercial bakeries do.

luvbn_mrs_coates Posted 17 Mar 2017 , 10:38pm
post #5 of 9

Did I store the cake correctly?

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 17 Mar 2017 , 10:42pm
post #6 of 9

It's covered so yes

luvbn_mrs_coates Posted 17 Mar 2017 , 11:37pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you for answering my question.  I guess I'll know for sure tomorrow when she cuts it.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 21 Mar 2017 , 11:39pm
post #8 of 9

So, how was the cake? Was it still moist? Hopefully everything went well!!!

luvbn_mrs_coates Posted 22 Mar 2017 , 12:02am
post #9 of 9

Well... I didn't ask and she didn't say.  I'll see her in person on Saturday and will find out then.  Thank you for asking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%