Urgent Help! What Color Is This?

Decorating By Miss.Reynolds Updated 5 days ago by ypierce82

Miss.Reynolds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Miss.Reynolds Posted 15 Mar 2017 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 16

I was up soooo late last night wasting fondant and racking my brain trying to get the same color as the accessories on this cake. Can anyone help me out? The color I tried to use the most was Wilton Burgundy because I heard it makes Magenta. However, it was turning into more of a red wine, burgundy color lol. I have to make this TONIGHT! Any suggestions will be appreciated of course! 

https://www.google.com/search?q=spa+cake&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_4t-q-NjSAhXhzVQKHRm9C8MQsAQIGQ&biw=1396&bih=726#imgrc=lm0dInUTy5E0zM:

Image result for spa cake

15 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 15 Mar 2017 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 16

I would use Americolor Fuchsia with a touch of black. 

Miss.Reynolds Posted 15 Mar 2017 , 6:03pm
post #3 of 16

Thank you so much @ypierce82 ‍. Heading to the cake supply store on my lunch break! laughing

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 15 Mar 2017 , 6:14pm
post #4 of 16

I agree with ypierce82... Best wishes! It's a lovely cake!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Mar 2017 , 8:02pm
post #5 of 16

I also agree.

Miss.Reynolds Posted 15 Mar 2017 , 8:26pm
post #6 of 16

You guys are the best! I just bought the Fushcia in Americolor. I'll keep everyone posted soon! 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Mar 2017 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 16

i would use fuschia and brown

Miss.Reynolds Posted 15 Mar 2017 , 10:03pm
post #8 of 16

Would Brown throw me back into that "burgandy" color I was getting earlier? @k8memphi

TC123 Posted 15 Mar 2017 , 10:18pm
post #9 of 16

This seems like one of those "could-be-tricky" colors if you need or want it to match exactly. I'm glad k8memphis jumped in with another suggestion.

I went through this recently with "Tiffany Blue" that I needed for gumpaste flowers for my friends upcoming wedding cake. I found 2 ways to do it. One was to just use turquoise, and the other was to use turquoise with some green. Thankfully my friend lent me a Tiffany pouch (Yeah... Now it's out there. I cannot afford to shop at Tiffany. LOL.) Anyway, I really lucked out with just the turquoise. I just had to be very careful with adding the color. Doing it pretty much a drop at a time until it matched the color of the pouch.

If you have the time, maybe you would consider trying to achieve your color using both of the suggestions: fuschia, and fuschia/brown. I would suggest doing this with two small amounts of fondant so you don't waste much of it.

Play around with it and see how you are able to best get the color you need. And don't stress... I'm sure you'll do GREAT! Best BEST wishes!

(((Hugs!)))

ypierce82 Posted 15 Mar 2017 , 10:33pm
post #10 of 16

Anytime I add brown, it looks muddy. But I would test out black and brown on scrap and see which one will get you there. It doesn't sound like you have very much time to get it right! 

Miss.Reynolds Posted 15 Mar 2017 , 11:00pm
post #11 of 16

Thank you @TC123 ‍. . . .Oh and What's Tiffany? wink lol. I think I will test them both! And you are right @ypierce82 ‍ I literally have to get started on those accessories tonight. The cake is due Friday night and my customer was so last minute in changing her design. I cant complain though because I allowed it. . . 

ypierce82 Posted 15 Mar 2017 , 11:33pm
post #12 of 16

Post it when you're done, please! It's such a cute cake and I love the mirror and the brush! Good luck! 

TC123 Posted 16 Mar 2017 , 12:10am
post #13 of 16

We're all rooting for ya! Good luck!!!! <3

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Mar 2017 , 12:52pm
post #14 of 16

i shoulda said add brown icing that is already colored not brown food color -- because that is a muddy fuschia*

honestly -- with the ten trillion different types of food color i must admit it was easier in the good ole' days to get consistent results when mixing colors -- although it was great when they came up with the fuschia color 'cause you couldn't mix that one up --

*then with all that said -- since there's different brown configurations -- actually different configurations for every color -- you pays you money & takes you chances -- 

also, the last color added can sometimes be more prominent -- so i'd maybe add another dash of fuschia after the brown icing to perk it back up if necessary -- but after sitting it of course intensifies --

mixing colors is an art form in itself -- good luck -- best to you

Miss.Reynolds Posted 5 days ago
post #15 of 16

Hi All! Thank you so much for helping me! I went with the Americolor Fuschia, added some black and some Rose to bring that pinkish-redish color out and viola. Unfortunately, I lost my mind, and in a rush I covered the cake in fondant and got these huge bulges on the sides! 900_urgent-help-what-color-i_98641758d147f94fbfc.png

ypierce82 Posted 5 days ago
post #16 of 16

Sooooooo cute! Great job! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%