Working On Wedding Cake For A Friend...

Business By cake-crusader Updated 30 Jun 2017 , 3:45am by johnson6ofus

cake-crusader Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-crusader Posted 10 Mar 2017 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 11

..More like an acquaintance, but here's the story.. One of my closest friends is hiring me to do her sister-in-law's wedding cake and I'm getting frustrated with the entire situation. After going back and forth for a bit about different designs (changing mind) and having a tasting they decided they wanted to do a marble cake, strawberry buttercream filling, white chocolate ganache and covered in chocolate fondant to create a realistic "tree bark" effect. After going over the cost of my ingredients I gave them a (very low!!) quote for a three tiered cake sized to serve 100 guests. I said the tasting fee and the delivery would be on me as their wedding gift. I did also mention that I took a percentage off of what I'd normally charge because I'd be consumed with guilt for charging my BFF full price and she's paying for the cake as her gift to them. So they both came back and said they only wanted to pay $300, so what can we do? ................Head explodes. I sent them new quotes today for smaller cake, or the three tiered cake with no fondant or ganache and textured chocolate buttercream "bark". Anyway, I write this for two reasons: first, I need to vent to someone other than my poor husband and I know you guys will understand. I'm getting straight up pissed off that my friends would want to "support" my business by coming to me for their wedding cake but I'm not feeling supported AT ALL. The time and money that I've already spent with them on the tasting and designing and quotes and offering my time to drive an hour round trip to deliver the cake for free and they still want to serve 100 ppl for $300. How is paying me so little (after cost of ingredients!) support? So I ask that you please share your own similar stories so I don't feel alone on this. And have you ever had to tell someone that expecting so much for so little is NOT supportive? I'm sure I won't ever say a word to them about it but maybe I can live vicariously through your experiences, lol. Second reason for writing this, please share with me how much you'd charge for this type of cake. I know that pricing varies from different areas but I'd really just love to see how much they COULD be paying for this dream cake. It would help me with my sanity to know how much other people would value this for.  I value my time and I usually tell my friends that I'm already booked so I don't have to lowball prices for them, this way I'm freed up for people who are happy to pay full price for my hard work. This is my first post at CC so thank you for listening and responding. Reading through these forums really keeps me sane and helps me push through, knowing that I'm not the only one dealing with these situations. XOXO

10 replies
Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 10 Mar 2017 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 11

I'm not a professional baker nor do I bake for other than family, but I think one other piece of information someone might need to answer your question is how much you did quote them for the cake initially.  Your experience is one reason why I don't bake for other than family - I don't want the stress and I don't want to go through the hassle of getting the license to bake from home.

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 10 Mar 2017 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 11

Dealing with friends and family is HARD! They want everything for nothing at all, but don't go any lower on your price, or you'll really kick yourself later. My cousin contacted me for a 3 tiered elaborate cake, 5 dozen cookies, and 4 dozen cake pops.....her budget was $150.00. Not only did I laugh, but I told her for $150 she could get the cookies, 2 tiers of the cake minus all the bling, OR 1 dozen cookies, 1 dozen pops, and a smaller cake. She definitely wasn't getting everything for that price. I'm not about to spend hours away from my family, breaking my backback, staying up late, and not paying myself to work on all of these things. She contacted me this past New Year's, and again, same crap. I just said no. You have to draw a line in the sand and stay there. I'm also not going back and forth(time and money) with you so you can constantly change your mind. Nope. Not gonna do it. I attended a wedding last year that had a cake similar to what you described, and the husband told us it was an $800.00 cake, and he regretted every penny of it because it fell as they were cutting it for pictures. 

CathiePoppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CathiePoppy Posted 25 Jun 2017 , 5:24am
post #4 of 11

I love this site!. I don't work with cakes. But I am a designer. You wouldn't believe how many times I get asked in a week by friends, and friends-of-friends to design/make/alter (or my personal favourite 'just whip something up') for them. And they want it for the low price of mates rates!. It's frustrating!. My own sister has come to me and has said that ' I have shopped around and people charged $100 for this alteration... I will give you $30. It was a rude shock to her when her little sister told her that 1. I charged more because I have skills, education and experience. 2. She would have to be put on a waiting list. Because I have valuable clients that pay good money to rush the service. You set the standards in your business. ( and that business includes the service you provide to your friends). 

When you charge your friends a much lower rate. 2 main things happen. 1. They will tell people how much they got the cake for, and you will have people trying to get cakes for the same rate!. It may even force you to lower your rates. It's disheartening! You are an artist, and you deserve to be paid properly for your work. 2. They get a 'ok' cake. With lower funds available to you, you have to find ways to cut corners. So you use cheaper ingredients. But the cake isn't quite going to be the same. 

If you do decide to do this cake. Do a professional invoice. Show the discounts on the invoice!. It's hard for anyone to be skint and debate a really low price, when it clearly shows that you already heavily discounted the cake. 

DormCat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DormCat Posted 25 Jun 2017 , 7:09am
post #5 of 11

Ive read so many stories about friends and family or friends of family wanting cakes for a low price then get upset because you charge them more than a Walmart cake. So I've come up with this....you have a job you get paid for and doing cakes is my job. you would not be happy if you were asked to get paid less for your job then why should I? People really don't understand how much time and expense there is in doing cakes and quite frankly I think it insulting. If I offer to make a cake then all expenses are on me. 

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 25 Jun 2017 , 12:10pm
post #6 of 11

You're learning a hard...but good...lesson here.

For me, everyone pays full price!  I have several family member and friends who own businesses, and if I purchase from them, I pay full price just like everyone else.  

It's best to separate your personal life from your business life!  Otherwise, it will always be a headache!

NikkiS338 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiS338 Posted 27 Jun 2017 , 2:07am
post #7 of 11

I've had so many queries, from people i don't know too, who have asked me to make them elaborate cakes for tiny budgets. I say no to all of them. Don't feel bad, its your business after all and you deserve to earn something from each cake made. You've offered them a solution based on your budget, so wait and see what they respond with, but don't sell yourself short. Good luck

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 27 Jun 2017 , 3:31am
post #8 of 11

For many years of my life, I painted portraits of people and animals.  Same old song, people wanting the paintings for nothing.  After listening to this complaint for years, I lost patience and compassion and starting telling them if they didn't want to pay my price, they could paint it themselves.  Of course, their response was, "I can't paint that" and I made sure they realized that was the whole point!

I have gifted several paintings in my time, but I do not discount.  Same thing with my cakes.  If I want to do a cake for someone, it is a gift.  If the cake is ordered by someone, I quote them a fair price and they can take it or leave it.  I am happy either way.  Oh, I am a hobby baker only and do not depend upon the income.  I could never be a professional baker, don't have the patience to deal with cheapskates.

Coffeelover77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coffeelover77 Posted 27 Jun 2017 , 12:46pm
post #9 of 11

Quote by @SandraSmiley on 9 hours ago

For many years of my life, I painted portraits of people and animals.  Same old song, people wanting the paintings for nothing.  After listening to this complaint for years, I lost patience and compassion and starting telling them if they didn't want to pay my price, they could paint it themselves.  Of course, their response was, "I can't paint that" and I made sure they realized that was the whole point!

I have gifted several paintings in my time, but I do not discount.  Same thing with my cakes.  If I want to do a cake for someone, it is a gift.  If the cake is ordered by someone, I quote them a fair price and they can take it or leave it.  I am happy either way.  Oh, I am a hobby baker only and do not depend upon the income.  I could never be a professional baker, don't have the patience to deal with cheapskates.

I swear reading all these stories on here convinces me I could not be cut out for this business!

People think you can throw togeter a detailed cake in an hour, and if you tell them it takes say 10 hours or whatever they think "that's crazy!! for a cake!". But .. they want the elaborate cake covered in multiple gumpaste flowers and/or figurines each of which could take an hour or a few hours to make! So what they really want is some kind of magician lol

I read a great analogy on here at some point ... That ferrari isn't always trying to come up with ways to get their cars in my driveway! And it's true! why are some luxury items like designer purses or clothing "allowed" to cost hundreds or thousands of dollars when they are made in a factory somewhere but a hand crafted cake should be $50

BoganBoody Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BoganBoody Posted 30 Jun 2017 , 1:56am
post #10 of 11

I have done lots of cakes for friends(really my husband's friends, but what's his is mine, right?laughing) where I was a guest at their wedding. I have come to give them the option of full price for the cake, and I will get them a wedding gift, or charge them a discounted rate for the cake as my wedding gift. The discount depends on how elaborate the cake is and close of friends they are, but I always have at least been payed any cost and gifted all or part of my labor. This has worked out for me, but I have only done this as a guest.

In your case, where you are not a guest, that changes everything. I live in a mid-sized city, and I would be charging AT LEAST $500 dollars for what you are describing, and that would be giving your friend a discount. I think offering to do a buttercream version is a perfect compromise, hopefully they will be happy with that!

Hope this all works out for you! 

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 30 Jun 2017 , 3:45am
post #11 of 11

Two problems here:

1. Cake newbie buyer who doesn't know the price of cake and is basing it on the Walmart or Sams Club display.

2. A "friend" who doesn't under that a discount for "friend" = you work for less pay.

A cake is ingredients, supplies, time and  labor. CHEAP CAKE CUTS IT OUT SOMEWHERE. Where do they want the cuts made? Your labor costs, of course!

No thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%