Petals Won't Stay Up Help!

Sugar Work By Coallie Updated 10 Mar 2017 , 11:17pm by -K8memphis

Coallie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coallie Posted 10 Mar 2017 , 6:02am
post #1 of 4

Hi!  I made four magnolia type flowers for a cake and I'm assuming used too thin of a wire for my petals since they won't stay up. Any suggestions on how to fix this without making new flowers? Thanks in advance!

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Mar 2017 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 4

dry them upside down on bagels or upside down small bowls or upturned cupcake pans or whatever you can find --

wires don't hold petals up -- the gums and starch in the product for example gum paste, candy clay or fondant hold up the petals --

if you need the wires stronger you can wrap them with florist tape --

not exactly sure what you mean but those are possible answers for what i think you might mean --

but if you mean the petals are not staying in place as a viable flower -- you could drop a plop of white chocolate and immerse the petals in that to form the flower -- not your plan A but would work

lemme know how it goes

Coallie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coallie Posted 10 Mar 2017 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 4

@-K8memphis ‍ thanks for the reply! The petals are holding shape but are Individually wired. The four smaller petals on the center hold up with the wire, the heavier outside petals (5) arent. 

I actually thought about doing what you said with the chocolate to hold the bigger ones in place on the cake. Do you think chocolate or royal icing would hold better? 

Thanks!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Mar 2017 , 11:17pm
post #4 of 4

royal will take longer to dry and to be secure -- piping gel is another thought -- y'know good old american buttercream is a thought too --

any of those but royal should work 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%