Cake Lace Or Sugar Dress?

Decorating By lizzyf Updated 9 Mar 2017 , 1:01am by lizzyf

lizzyf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzyf Posted 5 Mar 2017 , 2:04pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all!

I'm making my first wedding cake in June for a friend and attempting to make lace using a silicone mat. I'm hoping to make the lace in the weeks beforehand and apply the day before. What brand will hold up better to storage, keeping it pliable for wrapping around a cake? Nowhere here in town (I'm in Canada) sells it so I have to order it online and I'd rather not buy both if I can help it.

Thanks for your help!

4 replies
Itsabakerslife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Itsabakerslife Posted 5 Mar 2017 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 5

Hello! I have used cake lace by Claire Bowman, and have never had any problems with it. The mat I use is the Claire Bowman Serenity mat, along with Claire Bowman cake lace. I didn't get the premixed one. I have the one with part A and part B. Once I've prepared the mat, I put it in the oven for 20 mins and its done! For storage, simply wrap the lace in a couple layers of grease proof paper, and you can do this weeks in advance. Hope this helps!

lizzyf Posted 6 Mar 2017 , 12:11am
post #3 of 5

Thanks itsabakerslife... Yes, that definitely helps! relaxed

natportelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natportelli Posted 9 Mar 2017 , 12:38am
post #4 of 5

I've only ever used Cake Lace and used both the premixed and the two part mixes.  I love it.  I'm not a professional baker and can use it easily and I think it's brilliant.

lizzyf Posted 9 Mar 2017 , 1:01am
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much you guys! I ended up buying cake lace and currently waiting for it to arrive. I can't wait to test it out! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%