Over Pricing?

Business By Cakey-Pin Updated 16 Mar 2017 , 1:44am by Frank68

Cakey-Pin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakey-Pin Posted 2 Mar 2017 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 10

I was asked to make a 6" round cake with "gold" ganache dripping down it and 44 red velvet cupcakes with flowers piped on to them and sprayed with a gold sheen.  I costed the ingredients, baking cups, boxes, boards etc and then added time on to do everything and gave my figure of £150.  The client thinks it's too expensive and has said they "might just go for a cake".

I'm now concerned that I've overpriced my time and was wondering if you could give me advice on what you would've charged?  I'm new to this and don't mean to come across as though I'm a money grabber! 

Thanks.

9 replies
Linda527 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linda527 Posted 2 Mar 2017 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 10

Good afternoon.

What are you using to calculate your price?

I am here in the US and that seems a bit steep. It comes out to $184. in us currency.

That comes out to about $2.50 per cupcake and $74 for the 6 inch. 

Linda

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Mar 2017 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 10

My guess is that the price you came up with is just about right.

Linda527 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linda527 Posted 2 Mar 2017 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 10

I wonder if your ingredient costs are a lot higher than they are here in the US.

Linda

JustOneMoreCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustOneMoreCake Posted 2 Mar 2017 , 11:58pm
post #5 of 10

Good for you.  Stick to those prices!  Why should you work for peanuts?

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 3 Mar 2017 , 10:40am
post #6 of 10

I'd even charge more. Don't sell yourself cheap!

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 3 Mar 2017 , 2:23pm
post #7 of 10

I think that's a reasonable price. After subtracting your costs..supplies, energy used, you must get paid for your labour. If you drop your price, you run the risk of getting customers wanting "cheap" prices. People don't work for nothing, why should you!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Mar 2017 , 1:44am
post #8 of 10

Do not charge $2.50 for a cupcake!  I've been getting $3 per for 4 years.  I think your price is fine.

Cakey-Pin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakey-Pin Posted 14 Mar 2017 , 5:09pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you everyone!  I didn't think I was overcharging but because of the reaction it made me doubt myself.  

As you'll all know, it's not just the ingredients that they're paying for it 's the time and effort etc of everything else too.  I feel more confident sticking to my pricing now.

Frank68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frank68 Posted 16 Mar 2017 , 1:44am
post #10 of 10

I'm in NY, so a bit skewed, but my standard rate is $4-$4.5 depending on whether I use lace wrappers. The price for the cake is also fine. I go anywhere from $7-12 a serving but single 6" cakes require just as much effort even though serving size is small. At some point, you may need to consider whether someone is better off going to a local bakery for smaller jobs, they're just as time consuming. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%