Doing A Festival On My Own?

Business By HajraK Updated 4 Mar 2017 , 9:37am by HajraK

HajraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HajraK Posted 1 Mar 2017 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 3

Hello Everyone,

I am a homebaker relatively new to the game. I have a permit etc and usually just do small orders or smaller community events (think a few hundred people attending). My primary product is gourmet cupcakes with cake pops, cookies, cakes in jars on the side and small cakes.

Well I have the opportunity to sell my wares at a state Chocolate Festival happening in the next few months and am confused about what to do. The founder of the event saw pictures of my products I had sold/made recently, like what she saw and definitely thinks I should be a vendor at the event (of course she may also just be looking for vendors....)

Now the big question for me is, can I handle this on my own? It is a 1.5 day event (half friday/all of saturday) with about 100 or booths there (mostly chocolate or chocolate-related product vendors) and about 6,000-7000 people were expected to attend last year (I couldnt find the exact figures but I think about 5500 people ended up attending).

I have three small kids, and a husband with  a demanding job schedule. PLUS that's a lot of baking to do! Even with a 10% product size, thats still about 500 items I need to bake. 

I would love to do a festival but am wary that this may be too much to take on on my own. Has anyone ever done something like this? It would be just me doing pretty much everything...baking, setting up, taking down and being the only one at my booth. Take that into the $200 booth fee, cut to the city etc...

Should I sit this one out and wait for a smaller festival/or a time when I have help to come along? 

Any advice would be appreciated!

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Mar 2017 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 3

Just remember promoters always inflate the number of people attending and how great the event is.   That does sound like a lot to take on solo.   If you could have a babysitter for the kiddos and your hubby help you it's possible but totally alone.....don't think so.  Anyhoo that's just MHO.    

HajraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HajraK Posted 4 Mar 2017 , 5:51am
post #3 of 3

thanks for the response Kakeladi,

i had a feeling this would be quite an undertaking for me...just needed to have it confirmed by someone else with more experience

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%