Wedding Cake Tiers

Decorating By lizzyf Updated 26 Feb 2017 , 5:49pm by lizzyf

lizzyf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzyf Posted 25 Feb 2017 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 8

Hi,

I've made a few fondant covered cakes (a couple of birthday cakes and a baby shower cake) but never a wedding cake. My friend has asked me to do her wedding cake in June and we've picked a cake shape that she likes but I'm not sure what the tier sizes are. I'm thinking maybe 6,8,10,12,14 with the single layers being the 8 and 12. Does this look right to you guys?

It'll need to feed 150 but it's ok if it feeds more as I'm doing this as a gift to get and not charging her.

Wedding Cake Tiers

7 replies
lizzyf Posted 25 Feb 2017 , 2:23pm
post #2 of 8

I'm also wondering how you all would dowl this cake? Would you dowl the single layers seperately or together with the layer below?

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 25 Feb 2017 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 8

It is an Erica O'Brian cake (according to:  http://www.brides.com/wedding-cakes/2200000000196441)

From the photo... I'd say the top tier was a 4"... only because it looks the size/shape of a toilet paper roll... (at least that is how 4" rounds look to me... lol)

So it would then be a 4", 6", 8", 10", and 12"... but that last (bottom) tier doesn't really look 2" bigger than the one above it...

How many servings do you need to make it for?  You can always adjust a little for that...

Dowel each tier separately... Always...

lizzyf Posted 25 Feb 2017 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks AAtKT!

I tried to open that link and search it online but it wouldn't let me. 

It has to feed 150 for sure, but it can be bigger because it's a gift and I don't mind making it a little larger 

Ya, I was wondering if each tier is maybe only 1" bigger than the next? 

And I'll dowel each seperately... Thank you!

AAtKT Posted 25 Feb 2017 , 3:56pm
post #5 of 8

Here is it without the hyperlink added...

http://www.brides.com/wedding-cakes/2200000000196441

It works on my end for just cut and paste this way...

lizzyf Posted 26 Feb 2017 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you! It was giving me issues from my phone but I was able to click it from my desktop :)

Do you think those smaller tiers are just a single 2" cake, iced and covered with fondant? Or do you think it would be better to split a 2" cake and fill it? (prob a stupid question... I'm obviously a newbie at this lol)

AAtKT Posted 26 Feb 2017 , 5:47pm
post #7 of 8

If it were me, I would split the short tiers and still fill them... 

lizzyf Posted 26 Feb 2017 , 5:49pm
post #8 of 8

Ok,, i think that's a good idea. Thanks so much AAtKT, I really appreciate your advice! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%