Help Please With Japanese Cheesecake

Baking By mayatlan Updated 23 Feb 2017 , 12:36am by tennacvol

mayatlan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayatlan Posted 21 Feb 2017 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 4

Hi 

I am hoping someone  can help me.

My son went to a party about a week ago and they had a Japanese cheesecake. He loved it and the lady was so nice to give him the recipe. But when I tried to bake it , it just didn't work. I haven't  try it so i don't know how it should taste but I know it looks like a sponge cake.

this is what happened to me:

first try: it had a very strong taste of egg ---no much taste of cream cheese---and all the cream cheese went to to bottom

second try:  strong taste of egg ---and just a bit of the cream cheese went to the bottom

the recipe ask for :

250 ml milk

250 g cream cheese

60 g butter

6 egg yolks

60 g cake flour

20 g corn flour

1 tsp lemon juice

6 egg whites

1/4 tsp cream of tartar

130 g castor sugar

over a bowl of simmering water dissolve the butter , cream cheese, and milk

let it cool down and mix in the egg yolks then mix in both flours

Beat the egg whites to stiff peak and folding the flour mix

Pour the mix into a loose bake cake tin, covered in 3 layers of tin foil. Place the cake tin into a baking tray and add water half way

Bake for 1:20  at 160

I will be very grateful for any help. I am not very good at changing recipes and I don't know what to do

Thank you in advance for your help

3 replies
yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 21 Feb 2017 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 4

http://en.christinesrecipes.com/2011/02/japanese-cheesecake-fluffy-creamy.html

I found this link with detailed instructions.  I haven't tried it, but it looks great and I will.  I think corn flour means cornstarch; is that what you are using?  It seems as if all the recipes I looked at for Japanese cheesecake had cornstarch in them.  HTH

mayatlan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayatlan Posted 22 Feb 2017 , 2:56am
post #3 of 4

Thank you so much to yortma and ypierce82 for answering my post, a really appreciate it 

yortma it looks like that recipe it has the same amount of ingredients that am using-- and yes am using cornstarch -- thank you so much for the link

ypierce82  thank you for your message, I just responded , sorry for being so late, but a really appreciate you taking your time to write to me.

Thank you so much  

ps: I hope I will be able to post this, every time I try to send it, it says :: whoops, something  went wrong !

tennacvol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tennacvol Posted 22 Feb 2017 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 4

If you are tasting the eggs quite a bit that tells me they got too hot and cooked/scrambled probably while on the double boiler.  Without the eggs coagulating together in the oven (ie, they are already cooked and only bonded to each other and not the other ingredients), everything would then sink to the bottom of the tin.

Do you think that happened?

Also, I like the 2nd recipe's use of lemon zest instead of lemon juice, but that is a personal preference. I usually do my regular cheesecakes at the lower temperature of 300°F in the oven like in the 2nd recipe as well.  Other than that, I would say it should be pretty straightforward unless you are folding the mixtures together too roughly.

Hope some of that helps.

B

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%