Strawberry Cake

Baking By linaka Updated 18 Feb 2017 , 4:33am by johnson6ofus

linaka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linaka Posted 17 Feb 2017 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 4

I am looking for a good recipe for strawberry flavored cake that can hold up to fondant 

3 replies
yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 17 Feb 2017 , 4:11pm
post #2 of 4

Use your favorite scratch white cake recipe, substitute 2 to 4 Tbsp of the sugar with strawberry jello powder (depending on how "pink" you want it), add 1 tsp strawberry extract in addition to the vanilla (omit almond, or other flavorings) and stir in one heaping cup of finely chopped freeze dried strawberries at the end, including all the fine powdery bits.  Note: not frozen or dried strawberries but freeze dried.  Trader Joe's has them.  The freeze dried strawberries add a lot of flavor (and they soften up while baking) with out adding extra liquid so the cake maintains its original texture.  Hope it works for you.  

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 17 Feb 2017 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 4

I make my strawberry cake by cooking down a 1 pound bag of frozen unsweetened strawberries in the microwave for 5 minutes on high (this pretty much thaws them and releases a lot of moisture).  

I then puree them with an immersion blender, then return to the microwave for 5 minute intervals until they are reduced to a thick, jam-like paste (stir well between cooking periods).  

Allow to cool to room temperature, then fold into a regular recipe (8 inch layer) of vanilla cake (scratch or mix) and a drop or two of red color if desired.   I use my scratch recipe which yields three 8 inch layers, 1 1/2 inches thick (four cups of flour).

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 18 Feb 2017 , 4:33am
post #4 of 4

Both awesome ideas!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%