My Sad Cake

Decorating By GHOST_USER_NAME Updated 7 Mar 2005 , 1:14am by GHOST_USER_NAME

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 5 Mar 2005 , 2:01am
post #1 of 14

I had a really hard time with this stupid cake. So it ended up being much more simple than I intended. I tried making this with that too sweet icing recipe. icon_eek.gif !! Way to sweet! So I finally got it toned down and iced my cake. It wouldn't crust. So my icing is not smooth at all. Note to self- your icing is great! Stick with what works!! icon_sad.gif

Then I messed up the "H" in happy.... The "D" looks like a "B".....

I gave up and was so frustrated. This is a cake on the level that I was on when I first started- way back taking starter classes. I'm so disappointed. Not at all what I had planned.

20-piece ccc, all buttercream. Buttercream Lily of the valley and Ivy. Cross is BC Glaze.

This is not going into my portfolio or on my picture website for customers. I'm only posting it because so many here are under the delusion I am great at all things... Nope.. Not even close... not me!!! I have really really bad cake days, too. icon_cry.gif

http://community.webshots.com/photo/105829536/287871403rschyR

13 replies
-TenderHeart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-TenderHeart Posted 5 Mar 2005 , 2:05am
post #2 of 14

But Dawn, you learned something from it and I'm sure it tastes good, so all's well that ends well. icon_smile.gif Thank you for sharing with us too.

nashsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nashsmom Posted 5 Mar 2005 , 2:46am
post #3 of 14

Awww, we all have days where nothing seems to go the way we want it to. My instructor told me that it is better to walk away from the cake for a while if you are frustrated or if something is not clicking right. I have to tell you tho, that I think the border is beautiful!

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 5 Mar 2005 , 3:00am
post #4 of 14

We are our own worst critics...I'm rarely totally satisfied with a cake. When I look at your cake, I can't tell the icing isn't smooth and your writing blows mine out of the water. Whenever I'm dissatisfied with a cake I've decorated, I just tell myself "Lisa, you see beautiful cakes all the time. The person you're making this for has not seen what you have seen. They will think it is fine or maybe even good." We see cakes like art collectors see paintings--with a trained eye. I'm convinced everyday people don't see what we see.

-TenderHeart Posted 5 Mar 2005 , 3:04am
post #5 of 14

That's exactly right, Lisa. thumbs_up.gif 'Another reason never to point out what *we* see as flaws in our cakes. Joe Schmo and Jane Doe on the street likely don't spend 25 hours a day looking at cake photos the way we do. icon_smile.gif

mochaboi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mochaboi Posted 5 Mar 2005 , 3:12am
post #6 of 14

Well, I'm only a beginner (REALLLL BEGINNER) but I'd say all things considered, it looks damned good.... thumbs_up.gif

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 5 Mar 2005 , 3:50am
post #7 of 14

You guys are too funny.

Yes, the cake is OK and the people receiving it will probably say, "How pretty." But even Joan, normally 110% supportive, said, "What happened here?"

I know the cake is OK. It's just not up to my standard. But I still believe firmly in not telling the customer that. (wink) We can tell each other what we think..... but never any one else.

nashsmom- the border is the only thing I was happy with!!

Thanks everyone!!

-TenderHeart Posted 5 Mar 2005 , 3:54am
post #8 of 14

"Only a mediocre person is always at his best." --from author W. Somerset Maugham icon_cool.gif

dragonwarlord1969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonwarlord1969 Posted 6 Mar 2005 , 12:48am
post #9 of 14

I think it looks pretty good. The reverse shell top border is awesome! I tried it one and had the hardest time with it.

Joe

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 6 Mar 2005 , 1:30am
post #10 of 14

Joe- my thing is remembering that I'm doing the reverse shell. I've messed up many times forgetting to switch directions.

dragonwarlord1969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonwarlord1969 Posted 6 Mar 2005 , 1:54am
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4dawn

Joe- my thing is remembering that I'm doing the reverse shell. I've messed up many times forgetting to switch directions.

For some reason, I could do the shells great in one direction but had a problem with the other. Its they always say, "pratice makes perfect" thumbs_up.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 6 Mar 2005 , 8:30pm
post #12 of 14

dawn, we are our worst critiques, however, you know how well you can do cakes and the best thing to do, is to learn from any, if any, mistakes, learn from them, and move on to perfection!!

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 6 Mar 2005 , 9:38pm
post #13 of 14

ok, if that cake was a bad ccc then any of mine should be called "aches" instead of cakes...... it looks great to me. I was expecting complete horror, no where close to that.

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 7 Mar 2005 , 1:14am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by flayvurdfun

ok, if that cake was a bad ccc then any of mine should be called "aches" instead of cakes...... it looks great to me. I was expecting complete horror, no where close to that.

No, I just said it was sad.... it's not ready for Vincent Price... you made me laugh!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%