Candy Rocks Or Boulders??

Decorating By danar217 Updated 29 Jan 2007 , 8:20pm by 7yyrt

danar217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danar217 Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 10

Help! I'm making a construction cake for my son and would love yo find some candy that looks like rocks or boulders. I saw some on a website and now can't find them anywhere. Does anyone know where to buy some or even make some?

Thank you!

9 replies
missyv110 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyv110 Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 6:24pm
post #2 of 10

Not sure about the US, but here in Canada the bulk food stores have them in the candy section.... they're VERY cool-looking!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 6:30pm
post #3 of 10

If you have a Mr. Bulky Candy Store anywhere near you, this is where I buy mine!

Beth in KY

pancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pancake Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 10

I made some rocks out of fondant recently....they were really easy to do. Just swirled a few different earthy colors of fondant together, then molded them by hand & kind of squashed them against the counter to get some flat edges. I let them sit overnight to dry. They're in my photos on the Mater & McQueen cake.

kden3980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kden3980 Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 10

Not sure if you have a TJ Maxx near you, but I was recently in one and I saw that they had candy that looked like rocks in there houseware section. It was on clearanceicon_wink.gif

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 6:38pm
post #6 of 10

I did what pancake did and they are the talk of the town (Ok, well at least my office). I made enough to go around the entire 10" cake in about 10 minutes. They were so easy and the only part of the cake I'm proud of. I just colored pieces of fondant either grey or grey with a slight bit of brown and then swirled in some black for the marbly effect. Mine were small so I just pinched them a bit to make them look more "rocky".

carflea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carflea Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 6:39pm
post #7 of 10

in wisconsin you can get them at the local fancier grocery store or the cake place....

Melonie1005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melonie1005 Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 6:39pm
post #8 of 10

Here's a link http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/flowers/sprinkles.htm
Sugarcraft sells them, they are listed under misc. sprinkles middle of the page. Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 6:40pm
post #9 of 10

I found these at www.beryls.com they are awesome looking and tasting!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 8:20pm
post #10 of 10

You could make Seafoam candy boulders. They bash onto nice rough pieces that could look like they were dug up by the dozer...
http://www.cooksrecipes.com/candy/old-fashioned-sea-foam-candy-recipe.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%