Help With Fooball Helmet Please!

Decorating By tehilamiller Updated 29 Jan 2007 , 6:01pm by Lambshack

tehilamiller Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tehilamiller Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 5:42pm
post #1 of 5

How do I make the guard on the football helmet? I tried with a gumpaste and it was a total flop. I used the wondermold pan underneath and it kept breaking. Help please!

4 replies
leigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leigh Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 5

You could use modeling chocolate, Gumpaste or fondant could work also but you would have to let dry for a day probably.

scoobam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobam Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 5

there is one in my pics. if that is what you are talking about.... i just made mine out of fondant snakes... taped some wax paper to a ball and formed around the ball.

Not sure if that helps you at all. it was fragile... smushed all the snakes together really well using clear imt. vanilla at each seam. kind overlapped one into another.. if that makes any sense... like have the two meet and the work the fondant of one over and under the other one to the end of one if you were to look at it would be C shaped.

HTH somewhat!!

you could also make it out of something else... foil or something and cover with fondant or gumpaste???

srodge1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srodge1 Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 5:52pm
post #4 of 5

Try using royal icing. Cover your wonder mold with saran wrap (NOT waxed paper) and pipe out your face guard. You'll need to let it sit for at least 24 hours to dry, maybe longer depending on how thick your piping is. Also, you may want to make two (just in case one breaks). Good luck!

Lambshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lambshack Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 6:01pm
post #5 of 5

I used the cheap, yucky-tasting Wilton fondant when I made mine. I tinted it super black, and then rolled 'snakes' and actually laid it out over a real helmet. I let it sit and dry for about three days. I also added some toothpicks so I could attach it to the cake when ready. At the last minute, when putting it on the cake, I changed the design somewhat and made the guard actually rest on the cake. It was pretty heavy by itself. Use royal icing to help hold the pieces together. Best advice is to let it dry for as long as possible and you can always repair it with a little royal icing if needed. Maybe try covering pipe cleaners???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%